Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interesting Interview About The Vulkan API

Phoronix: An Interesting Interview About The Vulkan API

Neil Trevett, the President of the Khronos Group, did an interview recently about the Vulkan API as the future of graphics programming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope it's next month, hopefully with some demos from big publishers like they did with mantle.

I hope sony also starts supporting Vulkan (and not just their own thing like msft or apple).

Brad Wardell supports the idea:

Comment

My linux gaming is ready!! anyone got thoughts on source 2 and vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by HartOfWave View Post
        My linux gaming is ready!! anyone got thoughts on source 2 and vulkan?
        It has been found out that DOTA2 has been linked with source 2's vulkan renderer, but the shared objects/dynamic link libraries aren't shipped with it yet, IIRC.
        Moreover, since they showed us a demo of DOTA2+vulkan on their intel vulkan driver some time ago, it would be a safe bet to assume it is in good shape, and should be published soon after the specs (or the drivers from AMD/NVIDIA, since I'd be surprised if they publish a vulkan renderer that has not been tested against their drivers :-) )

Comment

Its a good question if Valve would do that, but they could ship ilo/vulkan with SteamOS first.

Comment

I wonder how long it will take for higher level languages to be written on top of it. That will definitely need to happen before Vulkan can replace OpenGL. I can't imagine developers writing soooo much extra code for every game or game engine.

Comment

Waiting for my vulkan + wayland desktop!

Comment

Waiting for Vulkan to arrive in mesa's commits!

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  I wonder how long it will take for higher level languages to be written on top of it. That will definitely need to happen before Vulkan can replace OpenGL. I can't imagine developers writing soooo much extra code for every game or game engine.

I think that "higher level language" will be the requirement to use game engines with limited cases of using vulkan directly.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    I think that "higher level language" will be the requirement to use game engines with limited cases of using vulkan directly.
                    That makes me think that probably someone will create an OpenGL2Vulkan wrapper... I think that technically it's possible to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X