Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FirePro S9170 Rolls Out With 32GB Of GDDR5 Memory

Phoronix: AMD FirePro S9170 Rolls Out With 32GB Of GDDR5 Memory

AMD announced the FirePro S9170 this morning as the first server graphics card with 32GB of memory for high performance compute...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too many questions...
    1. How much does it cost?
    2. Is it possible to do anything OpenCL 2.0 under FreeBSD, let alone use this card?
    3. What does "double precision" mean in their marketing material?
    4. Why would I want this over a Xeon Phi?

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
      Too many questions...
      2. Is it possible to do anything OpenCL 2.0 under FreeBSD, let alone use this card?
      Im assuming it means double precision floating point
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
        Too many questions...

price would be over US$2000
        so far and AFAIK, no OpenCL/CUDA/GPGPU under FreeBSD which is a real pitty
        double precision means as Ericg said double precision float (FP64) which is needed for any computation
        Xeon Phi is base on a simple implementation of x86 but unlike Intel's claims you will also need some code tuning in order to take advantage of the Phi's arch. So besides some "x86" features that may lead to some easier port in some specific cases, there is, so far, no real advantage of Phi over GPGPU, except that it's really hard to get access to a Phi device unless you pay a lot or have access to HPC facilities as opposed to GPU which can be bought in any store and so you can learn, practice, develop before porting your application to heavier device such as FirePro or Tesla cards.

Comment

Originally posted by adakite View Post
          price would be over US$2000
          It should maybe easely be around $4000 as previous 16GB S9150 is at $3000... don't think price is a problem who needs those, here 640 x S9150 cards paired

Last edited by dungeon; 08 July 2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X