Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.12 Released

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.12 Released

Version 5.12 of the KDE Frameworks were released this morning as the complementary set of add-on libraries to Qt5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one thinking that KDE is practically a dead project? When I read the news about new Gnome/XFCE releases I'm bombarded with new features, improvements, etc.

Last time I had the same excitement about KDE was many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Am I the only one thinking that KDE is practically a dead project? When I read the news about new Gnome/XFCE releases I'm bombarded with new features, improvements, etc.

You would be yes, unless there's someone else also not paying attention to what's going on in KDE. Such a statement simply belies your ignorance of what is going on in the project.

Comment

I disagree.

KDE now is splitted in framework, applications and plasma, so it depends on each part you are reading the release notes, if there's any user visible changes.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

I disagree.

KDE now is splitted in framework, applications and plasma, so it depends on each part you are reading the release notes, if there's any user visible changes.

The release notes don't really tell the whole story either, you need to be following https://planetkde.org/ and https://dot.kde.org/ among other things to really know what's going on.

Comment

In one year:
            4 plasma releases
            12 frameworks releases
            smooth transition from 4.x to 15.xx for applications

Yeah, totally dead, like xfce, which took them 3 years to release 4.12, during which they defaced thunar with gtk3 and aint even got a HW accelerated compositor.

Comment

That's because GNOME traditionally had less features than KDE, they are just catching up while KDE is refining their DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

That's because GNOME traditionally had less features than KDE, they are just catching up while KDE is refining their DE.
                That's not even true either, KDE is continuing to do quite a bit of development instead of just refinement, particularly as a result of the VDG's activities, ontop of Plasma 5, the Wayland bring up, etc etc etc... The idea that KDE is just refining is completely invalid.

Comment

What are you smoking guys?

Takes the latest KDE applications update:

"More than 20 recorded bugfixes include improvements to Kdenlive, the Kontact Suite, Kopete, the KDE Telepathy contact list, Marble, Okteta and Umbrello."

Really? KDE Frameworks is a set of libraries, so changes in it are not visible to the user.

Plasma, well, plasma is a lot like KDE Frameworks.

That leaves us with KDE applications which see zero activity, no new features, no new apps.

Comment

What are you smoking guys?

Takes the latest KDE applications update:

"More than 20 recorded bugfixes include improvements to Kdenlive, the Kontact Suite, Kopete, the KDE Telepathy contact list, Marble, Okteta and Umbrello."

Really? KDE Frameworks is a set of libraries, so changes in it are not visible to the user.

Plasma, well, plasma is a lot like KDE Frameworks.

That leaves us with KDE applications which see zero activity, no new features, no new apps.
                    Don't be a dumbass Birdie. As I already told you the release notes don't tell you anything close to the whole story. You want to talk new apps? well on PlanetKDE There's talk of a new KDE Web Browser called Fiber built on the idea of everything as a plugin. Calligra has a bunch of activity going on with it, and there's quite a few GSoC blogs going on right now talking about the features those students are doing.

Also... FFS birdie, what you're quoting is from a bugfix release not a major release of KDE Applications and you damn well know it. Year.Month.BugfixRelease... Seriously...
                    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 10 July 2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X