Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed: America's Army Is Coming Back To Linux

Phoronix: Confirmed: America's Army Is Coming Back To Linux

As a quick follow-up to America's Army looking at SteamOS/Linux support from earlier this week, it turns out the developers are indeed exploring a Linux client and server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember having had good fun, also the game remembered me of my military service. Looking forward to that.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
      Fuck this shit. Teaching USA's terrorism to kids through video games.
      Last I checked this game was America's Army, not America's CIA...

Comment

Linux is now officially easy enough to use for idiots that believe in propaganda. Is this good news?

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
          Linux is now officially easy enough to use for idiots that believe in propaganda. Is this good news?
          What... You mean like ihatemichael?

Comment

I suppose this is cool. I think I played an older verson of this game way back in 2002 or 2003.

Comment

I think some of the comments here are pretty interesting.

Take something like Call of Duty Black Ops, which takes place during the Vietnam War. There's a scene in there, where you and a member of your squad are forced to play Russian Roulette with one another after being captured by the Vietcong (which is a complete rip-off from "The Deer Hunter"). According to the US journalists who covered the documented cases of POWs during that time, this is something that never occurred regarding their treatment of prisoners. You could call that scene in the game, therefore, propaganda.

"One of the most talked-about sequences in the film, the Vietcong's use of Russian roulette with POWs, was criticized as being contrived and unrealistic since there were no documented cases of Russian roulette in the Vietnam War.[6][58][59] Associated Press reporter Peter Arnett, who won a Pulitzer Prize for his coverage of the war, wrote in the Los Angeles Times, "In its 20 years of war, there was not a single recorded case of Russian roulette ... The central metaphor of the movie is simply a bloody lie."[6] Director Cimino was also criticized for one-sidedly portraying all the North Vietnamese as despicable, sadistic racists and killers. Cimino countered that his film was not political, polemical, literally accurate, or posturing for any particular point of view.[58] He further defended his position by saying that he had news clippings from Singapore that confirm Russian roulette was used during the war (without specifying which article).[7]"

I'm going to look at this game as a "game" first and foremost; something fantastic (as in "fantasy") and surreal, yet interactive. Subtle political nonsense isn't going to sway me, and I'll happily brush it aside as I have while playing the more recent entries of the Call of Duty franchise.

Comment

Stop complaining! Movies are propagandists in many ways, one more semi realistical shooter for Linux is good news

Comment

This is great news! I remember playing Americas Army on Linux when it first was released, and it was good fun. Plus if it gets more folks interested in serving in the Armed Forces, that's good news too. Bravo Zulu on bringing a great game (back) to Linux!

Comment

Just heard that closed Linux beta will start in a month or two and sounds like I'll have invites for Phoronix readers.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X