Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno A4xx Improvements Landing In Mesa Git

Phoronix: Freedreno A4xx Improvements Landing In Mesa Git

For those relying on the Freedreno Gallium3D driver for open-source Qualcomm Adreno graphics support, there are more improvements in Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just wondering here, since Freedreno is awesome and all. I'm not too big on the mobile hardware front nowadays, mostly because its a giant mess of proprietary broken blobs, but what is stopping me from flashing desktop Linux (something that is going to have these latest Mesas like Archlinux-ARM or something) on my Galaxy S4, which has an Adreno 320 using the Freedreno driver?

I know the modem is still a completely closed black box, I assume I could just use the modem files with modemmanager. Probably a far out assumption. There are also a bunch of io devices in there like the accelerometer, GPS, etc that probably wouldn't work, but I'm mostly wondering whats missing to make the display / touch / sound / hardware buttons work.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      Just wondering here, since Freedreno is awesome and all. I'm not too big on the mobile hardware front nowadays, mostly because its a giant mess of proprietary broken blobs, but what is stopping me from flashing desktop Linux (something that is going to have these latest Mesas like Archlinux-ARM or something) on my Galaxy S4, which has an Adreno 320 using the Freedreno driver?

I know the modem is still a completely closed black box, I assume I could just use the modem files with modemmanager. Probably a far out assumption. There are also a bunch of io devices in there like the accelerometer, GPS, etc that probably wouldn't work, but I'm mostly wondering whats missing to make the display / touch / sound / hardware buttons work.
      Increasingly less is missing.. traditionally the trouble spot has been downstream display/gpu drivers, since until recently we didn't have much in the way of mipi-dsi support in the upstream drm/kms driver. Last few kernel releases have seen an improvement in drm/msm dsi support, contributed by the qcom display team. This is half of the equation, the other half is panel driver for the lcd panel on $random_android_device, since the upstream drm driver is using the common panel framework (so that panel drivers need only be written once, rather than once per SoC). I'm currently working on writing a panel driver for the AUO 1080p panel in xperia z3. I guess once that is working I should make a blog post documenting how to figure out the init and power-on/off sequences from the downstream kernel, so others can start writing panel drivers for whatever devices they have.

Comment

Working...
      X