NVIDIA's 352 Linux Driver Against Linux 4.1 With Nouveau Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's 352 Linux Driver Against Linux 4.1 With Nouveau Gallium3D

Phoronix: NVIDIA's 352 Linux Driver Against Linux 4.1 With Nouveau Gallium3D

After earlier this week looking at whether the open-source NVIDIA driver is fast enough for Steam Linux gaming, here are some benchmark results that compare the performance of the latest Nouveau Gallium3D driver code against the latest NVIDIA binary Linux graphics driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Donating GPU to nouveau would improve the driver situation? How one can help the driver situation besides coding it?

Comment

Hello, I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, but the image provided on the first page (with information about the benchmarks) is incredibly small and unreadable unless you open the image in a new tab. Keep up the great work

Comment

Nouveau seems fine for everyday desktop use with cheap integrated Nvidia GPUs or bare-bone card when no gaming or 3D graphics are to come into the picture. Otherwise the proprietary driver is really the only logical choice.

Fglrx vs Radeon should be interesting this time around due to the rather siginificant performance improvements with 15.5 and again with 15.7.

BTW, it looks like Cataylst 15.7 fixes the missing textures issue in Bioshock Infinite on older Radeon HD cards. I'm not seeing it anymore. Lots of improvements not even mentioned in the release notes.

Comment

30% slower is fucking awesome result. i say, screw 30% if that means i can use OSS driver. i rather spend more money on 30% faster card and then have better OSS experience.

if only reclocking would work as well on all NVidia cards, so i could be able to buy something 30% faster than my 750 and know it works with OSS. right now, blob is the way to go, but if Nouveau makes progress on newer cards... sheesh, no question what

Comment

Very impressive results. With full reclocking the Nouveau drivers are where the Radeon open source drivers sit. The 650 shows that Nouveau can do just as well as Nvidia drivers clock for clock. The 680 is exactly where you'd expect it for mid clock. Mid clock, mid performance. For older generation Nvidia owners it might be better to use Nouveau, especially with Gallium Nine. Now if only there was OpenGL 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              Now if only there was OpenGL 4.0.
              GL 4.1, even: https://github.com/imirkin/mesa/comm...-integration-3 . But the tess stuff isn't quite perfect yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                Very impressive results. With full reclocking the Nouveau drivers are where the Radeon open source drivers sit. The 650 shows that Nouveau can do just as well as Nvidia drivers clock for clock. The 680 is exactly where you'd expect it for mid clock. Mid clock, mid performance. For older generation Nvidia owners it might be better to use Nouveau, especially with Gallium Nine. Now if only there was OpenGL 4.0.

the 3d driver looks better than radeon, since nvidia have the best performance in linux(much better than fglrx), i like to see full reclock(at least some basic power savings etc) with nouveau drivers in all cards

Comment

Working...
                X