Here Is Why The Linux 4.2 Kernel Is Messing Up On Some Ubuntu Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Is Why The Linux 4.2 Kernel Is Messing Up On Some Ubuntu Systems

Phoronix: Here Is Why The Linux 4.2 Kernel Is Messing Up On Some Ubuntu Systems

The Linux 4.2 kernel that's currently under development ships many new features, but as I've been writing about for a while and tweeting, the 4.2 Git code hasn't been booting on many systems in my test lab for over one week. Various Phoronix readers have also been able to reproduce these different kernel panics that happen almost immediately into the boot process. Here's the root problem affecting Linux 4.2 on my daily Linux benchmarking systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very cool article, thanks for explaining - at least in an overview - how you figured it out. Oddly enough, I had to use git bisect for the first time last week at my day job.

I had a problem with the Ubuntu 15.10 alpha for a while with it dropping keystrokes. That mysteriously resolved itself. Maybe it was a fluke, or maybe it's related to the funky things they're trying to do to their kernel configuration.

Comment

What does a bunch of photos of your downstairs have to do with kernel panics?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        What does a bunch of photos of your downstairs have to do with kernel panics?
        Just many of the systems having problems and not having any interesting photos to post for the article otherwise.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am interested to know how you automatically turn off a system after a kernel panic ? I would personally have set up a hardware watchdog.

Comment

Nice work!

Would the OF confit option be there to support Apple hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              Nice work!

Would the OF confit option be there to support Apple hardware?
              Doubtful since I've ran several different Mac Minis / Pros / Airs on the mainline kernel PPA that didn't have this option... Only x86 platform I'm aware of using OF is the first OLPC XO.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ubuntu isn't the only distro with the 4.2-RCs having this issue. I use git snapshots in OpenSUSE and the same thing occurs, so I'm guessing the config options are pulled from upstream?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  I am interested to know how you automatically turn off a system after a kernel panic ? I would personally have set up a hardware watchdog.
                  Put...
                  Code:
                  panic=X
                  ...on the kernel boot command: Where "X" is an integer representing the number of seconds to wait after a panic before automatically rebooting (if absent it defaults to infinity).

Comment

Well, not sure if this helps somehow, but... if you want to log kernel messages remotely, you could use netconsole: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netconsole

Comment

Working...
                    X