Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Companies Most Active On The Systemd Mailing List

Phoronix: The Companies Most Active On The Systemd Mailing List

In part due to the recent news item about an NSA researcher looking at KDBUS and then having written a mailing list parser for finding how many Intel developers work on their open-source driver, for curiosity sake, here's a look at the companies most active on the systemd mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Two from gentoo? I hope they're not going over to the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
      Gentoo already offers systemd, I have it running since a couple of months, it's lovely.
      You are free to choose between OpenRC and systemd though and probably will be, given already by the fact that gentoo is available on systems and architectures not supported by systemd.

Leaving users the choice was always what gentoo is about, so it would have been odd if they didn't offer systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
        they are on bright systemd side

Comment

It looks like they are using OpenRC as the default init system with systemd as an alternative.

I haven't followed this very closely, so I was concerned that they might be switching from one to the other, which apparently is not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post
            Leaving users the choice was always what gentoo is about, so it would have been odd if they didn't offer systemd.
            And that is absolutely the best thing about Gentoo: choice. I've switched my system over to systemd twice now. Once a long time ago, and decided it was too immature (at least on Gentoo) and switched back to OpenRC. Then again recently I ran systemd on my desktop Gentoo system for about 6 months. The second time wasn't so bad, but after having a couple of WTF moments with it, I decided that it wasn't solving any problems that I actually had, and instead was causing me problems, so I went back to OpenRC.

How many other distros let you easily switch out init systems without re-installing? Gentoo is about letting you choose what you want to run, and giving you the tools to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post

And that is absolutely the best thing about Gentoo: choice. I've switched my system over to systemd twice now. Once a long time ago, and decided it was too immature (at least on Gentoo) and switched back to OpenRC. Then again recently I ran systemd on my desktop Gentoo system for about 6 months. The second time wasn't so bad, but after having a couple of WTF moments with it, I decided that it wasn't solving any problems that I actually had, and instead was causing me problems, so I went back to OpenRC.

How many other distros let you easily switch out init systems without re-installing? Gentoo is about letting you choose what you want to run, and giving you the tools to make it happen.
              Well other systems use systemd and it works just fine so there is no need to change.

Comment

I've been using systemd for ages on Gentoo, switched really early then back again (as there were too many init script equivalents missing) but then made the switch a month or two later when I figured out how to get samba working - now it all just works and I even spotted and fixed a few errors in my boot time thanks to the colour coding of journalctl

Oh and it's sooo fast and booting now - I mean why else would I run gentoo right? #ricer

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Well other systems use systemd and it works just fine so there is no need to change.
                  Well other systems use Windows and it works fine so there is no need to change. *sigh*

I didn't say anything negative about systemd other than it added nothing that *I* needed over OpenRC, and I had a problem or two with it so I went back to the software that works for me. But, I guess you're saying that systemd works just fine, and I shouldn't have had the option to use anything else, even if it was causing *me* a headache and something else did the job just as well without the headaches, right? I just don't understand that point of view at all.

I use systemd on 8 of the 9 Linux systems here at home. I don't have a problem with systemd in and of itself. I had some strange issues with networkd's IPv6 behavior when upgrading versions of systemd on one machine, and removed it because I didn't need the headache. My post was about the flexibility of Gentoo, not the suitability (or lack thereof) of systemd.

Comment

I would advocate for combining the domains obviously related. Canonical and Ubuntu, suse.de/com and openSUSE, Intel is there twice etc. That paints a more realistic picture (not too different though).

Comment

Working...
                    X