Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-BSD Releases Lumina Desktop 0.8.5

Phoronix: PC-BSD Releases Lumina Desktop 0.8.5

The PC-BSD crew has released version 0.8.5 of their Lumina desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should port Lumina to Linux, an operating system that people actually use. Also, soon Wayland is taking over X, so maybe it will be useless.

Comment

It's obviously another gnome2 fork so I don't see any need to port it to linux . There are already multiple of them. Since there is no chance that gnome3 will ever work on anything but linux with systemd, It makes a lot of sense for them to maintain their own gnome2 fork.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        It's obviously another gnome2 fork so I don't see any need to port it to linux . There are already multiple of them. Since there is no chance that gnome3 will ever work on anything but linux with systemd, It makes a lot of sense for them to maintain their own gnome2 fork.
        Ugh, no.

a) It's built using the QT toolkit, so definitely not a fork of gnome2.
        b) It's BSD licensed, so also not a fork of the GPL / LGPL gnome2.

It may have a similar look and feel, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Ugh, no.

a) It's built using the QT toolkit, so definitely not a fork of gnome2.
          b) It's BSD licensed, so also not a fork of the GPL / LGPL gnome2.

It may have a similar look and feel, but that's about it.
          Oh ok, I never used it so I didn't know. The screenshot above sure does closely resemble gnome2 though.

Comment

LXQT?

Comment

Originally posted by samigina View Post
              LXQT?
              What about a complete sentence?

Comment

Just realised... Is this Lumina from Seiken Densetsu ? (Secret of Mana series)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  They should port Lumina to Linux, an operating system that people actually use. Also, soon Wayland is taking over X, so maybe it will be useless.
                  1: This is made specifically for FreeBSD (or at least the BSDs in general). So any design choice would revolve around how the BSD guys do stuff, not Linux. Luckily, basically everything can, or is ported, back and forth. Anyways, it's important because up till now the BSDs have only had desktop environments that were built for Linux, ported over, and would run into issues. This will finally give us a proper 'FreeBSD Desktop'

2: It is actually available on Linux. And AFAIK they even have instructions as to how to do that.
                  EDIT2: Yes https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lumina

3: At the rate that stuff is ported around, I doubt that we'll see Wayland 'soon' aside from tests

EDIT:
                  Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  4: It's based off fluxbox, and they're working on removing dependencies to it and all the other things.
                  Last edited by profoundWHALE; 15 July 2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I have successfully built and run Lumina 0.8.4 on Debian Stable, so there's no porting to be done.

Lumina Desktop Environment. Contribute to lumina-desktop/lumina development by creating an account on GitHub.

Last edited by bison; 15 July 2015, 05:51 PM. Reason: Added URL to dependencies

Comment

Working...
                    X