No announcement yet.

Intel Adds Skylake/Braswell Boards To Coreboot: Kunimitsu, Cyan, RPV3, Strago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Adds Skylake/Braswell Boards To Coreboot: Kunimitsu, Cyan, RPV3, Strago

Phoronix: Intel Adds Skylake/Braswell Boards To Coreboot: Kunimitsu, Cyan, RPV3, Strago

Skylake is around the corner and now after an Intel engineer added Skylake SoC support to Coreboot, that work has been extended by adding support for the first Skylake motherboards in Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's probably just some new chromebooks. Don't get me wrong, chromebooks are great laptops and gives bang for your bucks, but intel has already said that there are multiple new braswell and skylake chromebooks on the way so this was expected. I just wish that we could see a modern desktop cpu with coreboot for once.
    Last edited by johanb; 17 July 2015, 04:30 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Here's my opinion. Intel is this big massive bad-guy money making evil corp. But it hires a lot of engineers, that are smart. And amidst the confusion of large corporations, a lot of sub-groups exist, semi rogue-like. And they do good. Because they are smart engineers, creative and productive, they actually do good. So Intel is, because of lack of overall vision, producing the best code right now in linux. They are doing really good things. Open-source drivers on GPU, BIOS. Sure, sometimes a project becomes important, like IRIS, and then some project manager says "We need more microcode, because blah blah, I need to look important".

Intel is probably the only dominant company with important good force that is coming from it. vPro is bad, but no one bought into it. Compare that to nVidia, or Samsung, or Apple. Intel is pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        Here's my opinion. Intel is this big massive bad-guy money making evil corp. But it hires a lot of engineers, that are smart. And amidst the confusion of large corporations, a lot of sub-groups exist, semi rogue-like. And they do good. Because they are smart engineers, creative and productive, they actually do good. So Intel is, because of lack of overall vision, producing the best code right now in linux. They are doing really good things. Open-source drivers on GPU, BIOS. Sure, sometimes a project becomes important, like IRIS, and then some project manager says "We need more microcode, because blah blah, I need to look important".

Intel is probably the only dominant company with important good force that is coming from it. vPro is bad, but no one bought into it. Compare that to nVidia, or Samsung, or Apple. Intel is pretty awesome.
        More microcode is needed because hardware gets more complex. Notice all the USB 3.0 controllers require firmware for example. I think being able to modify the BIOS in the first place is more important (Intel Boot Guard)

Comment

Working...
        X