Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber: Yet Another Web Browser For Qt/KDE

Phoronix: Fiber: Yet Another Web Browser For Qt/KDE

Ken Vermette has been developing a new open-source web browser for KDE that he's calling Fiber...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks, but no thanks!

Comment

Seriously? Why should he publish source code of stuff that's not near ready or in a usable state...

Comment

It would be interesting to know whether the author has some specific enhancements in mind or he's just throwing another browser out there just because he can.
        Right now we have the ubiquitous Chrome which eats memory like there's no tomorrow. We have Firefox which still has some plugins that Chrome doesn't and is more concerned about privacy. Then there's the likes of Opera and Rekonq which don't have a particular focus, thus they're below the margin of error in any statistic. I wonder what's up with this Fiber, because "all plugins" just seems like Firefox to the extreme for no particular reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
          Seriously? Why should he publish source code of stuff that's not near ready or in a usable state...
          Because then maybe people can help bring it to a usable state?

Why should he release builds of something that is not near ready or in a usable state?
          Why should Phoronix cover shit that is not near ready or in a usable state?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Why should Phoronix cover shit that is not near ready or in a usable state?
            Well indeed I consider the article a bit pointless considering there is not really a "fiber" and might be wiped every moment. I remember the article about the new superioir "Klang" sound system on Phoronix even thought he info was based on some placeholder website which never meant to be public and it seems like never actual work has even started.
            If I'd start a project/vision and had ~10 lines of code I wouldn't publish the code. I guess you wouldn't either. So please stop being offensive and leave him be until he has something to "show off".

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              Well indeed I consider the article a bit pointless considering there is not really a "fiber" and might be wiped every moment. I remember the article about the new superioir "Klang" sound system on Phoronix even thought he info was based on some placeholder website which never meant to be public and it seems like never actual work has even started.
              If I'd start a project/vision and had ~10 lines of code I wouldn't publish the code. I guess you wouldn't either. So please stop being offensive and leave him be until he has something to "show off".
              Good chance it helped kill any hopes of it starting up as well unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                It will be interesting to see how far one individual can take his web browser ideas considering there are already many KDE/Qt-focused web browser projects and countless more in general with much heavier backing.
                Like what?

Rekonq: seems dead
                Konqueror: ported to Frameworks 5, but still Qt4 and ancient QtWebkit 4
                QtWeb: dead since 2013
                Arora: dead since 2011
                Qupzilla: seems alive and decent, but no update since January

I see no signs of "many KDE/Qt-focused web browser projects." And that really sucks, because using Chromium or Firefox on KDE are awful.
                Last edited by steveriley; 21 July 2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I really can't see the wisdom of installing a web browser that isn't open source. The web browser has turned into a giant run time. The constant cloudflareification of the web means some amount of javascript has to be run to visit any site that is the slightest bit interesting.

The immediate benefit of opensourcing a browser is the author can receive patches. Both to improve the base browser and to allow porting. It doesn't fix everything though. The open source browser I am most disappointed in is Midori. So promising with its adoption of the C version of webkit, and prominent relation to the XFCE ecosystem. For the longest time though its security was (and still may be) a nightmare with all sorts of improper SSL/TLS handling.

Comment

Working...
                  X