Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing Fedora Snapshots/Rollbacks With Btrfs & Snapper

Phoronix: Doing Fedora Snapshots/Rollbacks With Btrfs & Snapper

All the way back to Fedora 13 has been work on supporting Btrfs system snapshots / rollbacks using this Linux next-generation file-system's CoW snapshot abilities. Those abilities were tied into a Yum plug-in for making a Btrfs snapshot whenever a Yum transaction would take place. Another alternative for Btrfs system snapshots on Fedora is by using Snapper...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Snapper, one of the few good things to come out of SUSE in recent times?

Comment

This and libzypp which is also used by Fedora as base for the dnf package manager.
      And continual performance testing of mainline kernels: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/blog/index...e-kernels.html
      And the Open Build Service which can be used by all distributions and even individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Snapper, one of the few good things to come out of SUSE in recent times?
        few?
        what about?
        - suse studio
        - obs - used by many distros
        - zypper - the underlying libsolv was adopted by fedora recently for their new yum == dnf
        - openQA - also adopted by fedora recently
        - yast - should be adopted by others...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

few?
          what about?
          - suse studio
          - obs - used by many distros
          - zypper - the underlying libsolv was adopted by fedora recently for their new yum == dnf
          - openQA - also adopted by fedora recently
          - yast - should be adopted by others...
          Please look up the meaning of "recent".

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Please look up the meaning of "recent".
            very helpful comment.

for me recent means in the last 2 or so years.
            - yast was recently completely rewritten in ruby so that others can start using it and thus got many new modules
            - openQA is about 1 year old since it started with tumbleweed and was very recently adopted by others
            - marvin, the continual performance testing of mainline kernels: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/blog/index...e-kernels.html is from 2015 (thanks niner - that was new to me)
            - OBS is in steady developement since 2006 - do you count new features? the last major release was march 2014
            - libsolv and studio are also a bit older, ok, 2011 and 2009 - but still - they are in steady developement these days and are used by others - don?t you count that?

now tell me what "your" distro has got out recently for the community?
            Last edited by tomtomme; 22 July 2015, 09:33 AM.

Comment

- yast was recently completely rewritten in ruby so that others can start using it and thus got many new modules
              No, not completely rewritten. The major work was done by a script that translated the old code base into Ruby.

- openQA is about 1 year old since it started with tumbleweed and was very recently adopted by others

- marvin, the continual performance testing of mainline kernels: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/blog/index...e-kernels.html is from 2015 (thanks niner - that was new to me)
              I wrote "few good things", not "only good thing": I never claimed that Snapper is the only good recent thing by SUSE.
              However it's undeniable that SUSE fired a huge chunk (if not the majority) of its FOSS developers ? esp. in the desktop space ? and decreased its FOSS contributions in general.

- OBS is in steady developement since 2006 - do you count new features? the last major release was march 2014
              OBS is great, I use it for all my packaging. It's not new, though.

- libsolv and studio are also a bit older, ok, 2011 and 2009 - but still - they are in steady developement these days and are used by others - don?t you count that?
              No, I don't count maintaining older software. libsolv is great but also already 8 years old. SUSE Studio is proprietary, so fuck it.

now tell me what "your" distro has got out recently for the community?
              Cockpit makes it easy to administer your Linux servers via a web browser.

With the first stable release of KScreen 1.0, its developers say the tool is now ready for use. The open source application allows users to "magically" configure screens, TVs and projectors attached to a KDE system

oVirt is a free open-source virtualization solution for your entire enterprise

It has been more than 2 years when I was an intern in Red Hat and Lukáš Tinkl, my leader that time, told me that I should take a look what needs to be done around network management in KDE. I start…

Pretty much every newer Gnome project these days (e.g. https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-boxes...ster/copyright , https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-logs/...c/gl-journal.c , https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-maps/...application.js ,?)
              and so on and so forth?

Comment

Working...
              X