Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI Radeon R7 370 GAMING 4G

Phoronix: MSI Radeon R7 370 GAMING 4G

The latest graphics card we've been testing the past few weeks under Linux is the MSI Radeon R7 370 GAMING 4G. This mid-range graphics card is equipped with a very quiet heatsink fan and will work on both the latest open and closed-source AMD Linux graphics drivers. Of interest to many Linux enthusiasts who are concerned about noise is that with MSI's ZERO FROZR feature, the fans will stop completely while the system is idling or just engaging in light gaming or multimedia tasks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Completely turning off fans in idle mode a nice addition, especially it's baked into firmware.

However, as a happy owner of MSI R9 270X 2G, I will skip it for R9 Nano coming.

Comment

It appears that catalyst openGL performance has made some strides forward and that should be appreciated. Everything is playable now including metro redux.

Still a long way from where it should be relative to nvidia, hope they can keep improving.

Comment

Yeah kudos to MSI, i thought Micheal bought the card again

Not impressed to see oldest one gen in the series tested but thanks for the review anyway... i also think (by looking into R9 290 results) that some Fury (even non X) and fglrx 15.7 with renamed CS:GO profile will kill Titan X performance
        Last edited by dungeon; 21 July 2015, 02:54 AM.

Comment

I would like to see Metro 2033 Redux as the binary was not in the CAPs.

Comment

The only reason to buy AMD on Linux is if you want to use the open source drivers. Actually quite relevant for early adopters of Wayland. But I wish AMD would sort out their Linux drivers already.

Comment

I have ASUS Radeon R9 270. The is occasional flickering in 2d desktop with open source radeon driver (every distro I have tried).
              I wonder if R9 370 is better regarding flickering?

Comment

Originally posted by sojer2005 View Post
                I have ASUS Radeon R9 270. The is occasional flickering in 2d desktop with open source radeon driver (every distro I have tried).
                I wonder if R9 370 is better regarding flickering?
                Probably is the same I can only recommend somone to buy oldest gen R7 370, instead of newer R7 360 if performance is not enogh or if someone wants most raw performance for reasonable amount of bucks. Otherwise newer gen are R9 380 or Furys... same goes for R9 390/X in comparison, one can buy it because of raw performance, but in different price area.

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                The only reason to buy AMD on Linux is if you want to use the open source drivers.
                It might seems to sounds like that to you, but gaming enthusiast and workstation guys think differently - OpenCL 2.0 + OpenGL 4.5 only on AMD and only on AMD blob is currently strong factor to say reasonable NO to opensource drivers
                Last edited by dungeon; 21 July 2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  It might seems to sounds like that to you, but gaming enthusiast and workstation guys think differently - OpenCL 2.0 + OpenGL 4.5 only on AMD and only on AMD blob is currently strong factor to say reasonable NO to opensource drivers
                  This is actually the main reason I use AMD. I do like how they think and Act but this is still the main reason.

Comment

@dungeon

If you recommend AMD hardware for Linux gaming then you are very silly...

Comment

Working...
                    X