Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 980 Ti Is Running Strong Under Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 980 Ti Is Running Strong Under Linux

The GeForce GTX 980 Ti as NVIDIA's current highest-end desktop GPU is running great under Linux, assuming you don't mind running the proprietary graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually I do mind which is why I'm using AMD which has an oficially supported open source driver. Nvidia could do this too but sadly they don't want to do it so it's AMD or Intel for me. I don't play games though so I don't care much.

Comment

This is getting stupid. I read online news to get an update on the world quick and easy.

Now Phoronix is pushing its readers to do more and more of it on their own. Not only does one get redirected to their benchmarking site instead of getting proper articles, and repeatedly so, but one is also required to install their benchmarks to get a comparison.

This is no longer informative. I would like to read benchmark results, see a fair comparison, read good points, pros and cons, a conclusion and an outlook all in one. That is what I want to read. And if I cannot get that then why come here?

You are wasting my time. All while you also expect me to spend money on a subscription. Do you even see yourself? It is as if some kid who is good with Linux has grown into a Walter White, who now sits in his basement server room on a leather couch, drinks cocktails and makes plans on how to make more money by doing less. Yeah, that photo of your ridiculous server room setup still makes me laugh...

Anyhow, you are going into the wrong direction. Make news, do not make your readers make them for themselves, or they will learn and no longer need you for it.

Now I have to go and read about the GTX980Ti on other web sites, because what did I really learn from that article? Other than you getting your review sample and that it is running great... nothing.

I hope the sample was free, because if it was not then you really should quit with this considering your problems with your electricity bills and such.

TL;DR: wasted my time, nothing learned, looking for news elsewhere.
      Last edited by sdack; 21 July 2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        This is getting stupid. I read online news to get an update on the world quick and easy.

Now Phoronix is pushing its readers to do more and more of it on their own. Not only does one get redirected to their benchmarking site instead of getting proper articles, and repeatedly so, but one is also required to install their benchmarks to get a comparison.

This is no longer informative. I would like to read benchmark results, see a fair comparison, read good points, pros and cons, a conclusion and an outlook all in one. That is what I want to read. And if I cannot get that then why come here?

You are wasting my time. All while you also expect me to spend money on a subscription. Do you even see yourself? It is as if some kid who is good with Linux has grown into a Walter White, who now sits in his basement server room on a leather couch, drinks cocktails and makes plans on how to make more money by doing less. Yeah, that photo of your ridiculous server room setup still makes me laugh...

Anyhow, you are going into the wrong direction. Make news, do not make your readers make them for themselves, or they will learn and no longer need you for it.

Now I have to go and read about the GTX980Ti on other web sites, because what did I really learn from that article? Other than you getting your review sample and that it is running great... nothing.

I hope the sample was free, because if it was not then you really should quit with this considering your problems with your electricity bills and such.

TL;DR: wasted my time, nothing learned, looking for news elsewhere.
        As mentioned in the article, these are just some PREVIEW / PRELIMINARY / INITIAL numbers for those wanting to run their own comparison... I only got the GTX 980 TI yesterday morning, the full review will come later in the week or so, as explained in the article...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I always find the reviews on phoronix informative and helpful. Usually they're the only reviews done on Linux so good luck finding reviews on other sites. Maybe sometimes the reviews could be more informative, that's true.

Comment

I traded up (via EVGA's Trade-up program) from a GTX 980 FTW to a GTX 980 Ti ACX and stuck this bad boy in a new PC and it's running fantastically in Ubuntu. I did have to add the XOrg Edgers PPA to install the latest proprietary driver to get it working properly though, but that's only until Wily's release when I expect the included driver to be updated. I'm getting well over 150 FPS at any given time in Dota 2 with graphics set to the maximum (V-Sync off, obviously). CS:GO is also running like a beast at max graphics, running over 200 FPS consistantly. I haven't ran any real benchmarks on it yet (even though I have PTS installed). Maybe I'll do that soon.

Comment

The GTX 980 Ti is in today's 15-way Linux graphics card comparison - http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21884
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X