Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspyr's New Linux Port Is A Decade-Old Game

Phoronix: Aspyr's New Linux Port Is A Decade-Old Game

Yesterday Aspyr Media was teasing a new Linux game launch and today they've indeed ported over another game now available from the Steam Linux store...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow! That's unexpected. I love that game. (Even though I prefer the first episode).

Comment

It's not nothing when you can launch steam and play a game. Setting up wine stuff is annoying. Heck, I own Jedi Outcast on Steam, but they don't have a Linux version powered by the open sourced code, so I have to go through hoops just to run it. Not worth it when I have other things to play.

Convenience is a great feature.

Comment

Um... Michael, to say that KOTOR II being ported isn't exciting unless you're a star wars fan means you don't understand what this means... What this means is that Disney is open to porting the LucasArts Catologue over to Linux, which is one of the most coveted software collections alongside Sierra's and Origin Systems for a generation of PC gamers.

Comment

For me this is nothing but disappointment. Now i wait for Alien Isolation

Comment

Was there ever more flawed article on Phoronix?

Given that Aspyr had ported Civilization V: Beyond Earth, Bioshock Infinite
            Bioshock Infinite? really? VP did that one, not Aspyr
            Civilization V: Beyond Earth? really? there is no game like that. those are 2 games Civilization V and Civilization: Beyond Earth

here is the list. Borderlands 2, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Civilization V,
            Civilization: Beyond Earth, Fahrenheit (go figure, another cult classic)

/there was some hope it would be another thrilling game release. However, unless you're a Star Wars fan, there isn't much excitement over today's new Linux game.

i'm not really KOTOR fan, but that is cult classic and it was probably by far most requested port wherever Aspyr developers were present. so, yea lot of people are excited.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              Um... Michael, to say that KOTOR II being ported isn't exciting unless you're a star wars fan means you don't understand what this means... What this means is that Disney is open to porting the LucasArts Catologue over to Linux, which is one of the most coveted software collections alongside Sierra's and Origin Systems for a generation of PC gamers.
              The reason KOTOR II was chosen is probably because EA (via BioWare) own rights to the first one, and they wouldn't allow it.

Comment

The fact that games have gold ratings on winehq does not mean much. Most of the time they are overrated. There are titles on there with good ratings which require cracking the DRM. (read the rating guidelines)

Actually, please, go ahead and read what the testers wrote, even the ones that gave it gold ratings.

Last time I played it with Wine there were some noticeable problems:

* no support for widescreen
                (can be modded but it's crappy with wine because in full screen you might get UI elements from the DE over the game window)
                * no hardware mouse
                * no alt-tabbing or the game goes bye-bye
                * you have to play it in emulated desktop mode

This version of the game does not suffer from these problems and it's a classic. Many people still want to play this game. I'm not a SW universe fan myself and I still enjoyed both KOTOR and KOTOR 2.
                Last edited by who_me; 21 July 2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I find GamingOnLinux's article a bit more positive: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...rt-report.5694

Even if it's a decade old game, it's still a good one and it's still one more on our beloved platform.

Comment

Great it was on my Wishlist, there were rumors it was coming, now am playing for the first time many classics like Baldurs gate / icewind dale and now I can finally play KOTOR 2. I only played Jedi Academy back when I used windows (which I hope the rest also that are already in Mac also get ported here), so good times!

Do you guys recommend with or without the restore content mod?

edit nvm.
                    p.s. GoL also has recomendations and a review of the port
                    Last edited by madjr; 21 July 2015, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X