Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.5 Is On Approach With Many Changes

Phoronix: Git 2.5 Is On Approach With Many Changes

Junio Hamano announced the release on Tuesday for Git 2.5.0-rc3, which is made up of more than 500 commits since Git 2.4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn that thing gets releases out quickly. I'm on the latest Ubuntu OS (15.04 KDE) and I'm behind several releases (git 2.1.4).

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Damn that thing gets releases out quickly. I'm on the latest Ubuntu OS (15.04 KDE) and I'm behind several releases (git 2.1.4).

They shoud provide .deb packages on their download page instead of providing the commands to get it throgh the distribution packaging system

Also it would make possible to install it without internet connection

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

They shoud provide .deb packages on their download page instead of providing the commands to get it throgh the distribution packaging system

Also it would make possible to install it without internet connection
        If you want the latest and greatest, you're probably not using Debian/*buntu. These distros have managed to break their git-svn integration and no one seems to rush to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Who cares ? Does the git in ubuntu 15.04 not work ? I sometimes work with a 12.04 one and it's working just fine. What if they increased the version number at each commit ?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

Who cares ? Does the git in ubuntu 15.04 not work ? I sometimes work with a 12.04 one and it's working just fine. What if they increased the version number at each commit ?
            While git is mature enough, it still gets new options or more sensible defaults that make your life easier. Granted, these enhancements are very narrow-scoped these days, but sometimes they're improving exactly the part that gave you headaches for the past month. Still, if you're smart enough to use git, you're smart enough to install the latest version even if your favourite distro doesn't ship it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If you want the latest and greatest, you're probably not using Debian/*buntu. These distros have managed to break their git-svn integration and no one seems to rush to fix it.
              Yes, but I like MATE and the Ubuntu MATE is the best implementation of it
              The only other distro that I like is Linux Mint (MATE and Cinnamon), but it's also ubuntu based

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Git 2.5 Is On Approach With Many Changes
                Bug fixes, Perforce support improvements, and lots of commits... Wow, that is boring. It seems like core of git that I most git developers use hasn't changed in quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                X