Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core Mesa Now Implements OpenGL 4.0, Nearly At OpenGL 4.1~4.2

Phoronix: Core Mesa Now Implements OpenGL 4.0, Nearly At OpenGL 4.1~4.2

Wow, it's like a dream... Waking up to find that Mesa Git now supports all of the necessary GL extensions to claim OpenGL 4.0 compliance by core Mesa. It took more than five years, but it's finally materializing and OpenGL 4.1~4.2 isn't too far behind...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think you misread the comments on the last article imirkin stated that 4.1 core profile was already being exposed on nvc0

Comment

I had exactly the same impression

What a pleasure to see this in http://mesamatrix.net:
      OpenGL 4.0 - GLSL 4.00 100.0%
      ALL GREEN!

Comment

This is pretty great. While most of the drivers are still needing baking, once GL 4.2 compliance is reached accross the board just about every Linux game will work with the FOSS stack. I don't think I've heard about any Linux games to date requiring extensions beyond OpenGL 4.2?

Comment

This is fantastic, though, it still seems that many of the drivers aren't 100% caught up with mesa. Not sure how long that takes though.

Wasn't tessellation (and the shaders that go with it) as of the most difficult things to achieve in all of GL 4.x? If so, I figure that should mean the rest will come relatively quickly.

Also, why exactly do we have to wait till September for mesa 11 if OGL 4.0 is officially supported?

Comment

OGL 4.0 is supported in the master branch. There's been no release yet (it will happen in september).

Comment

With OpenGL 4.1 Mesa3D is on the same level as OS X.

Comment

Well that is really great to hear !!! Maybe its finally time to buy my dream PC that I have always wanted for the last 5 years.

Creak - Thanks for posting this link http://mesamatrix.net/ its really great to see the break down for everything !

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  This is fantastic, though, it still seems that many of the drivers aren't 100% caught up with mesa. Not sure how long that takes though.

Wasn't tessellation (and the shaders that go with it) as of the most difficult things to achieve in all of GL 4.x? If so, I figure that should mean the rest will come relatively quickly.

Also, why exactly do we have to wait till September for mesa 11 if OGL 4.0 is officially supported?

We have to "wait" because this isn't supported or released. The projects create releases for various reasons, but the most important is quality assurance,. And they chose to release on a schedule they believe they can actually support. Saying that OGL 4 is supported in main or git or whatever is only saying that the initial work is in the tree, not that it is in a final state. It works for the maintainers, and now others can test if it works with their patches, if it can work with other hardware combos, and myriad other factors including if there are bugs with the commited code, or if there are performance regressions for other things.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
                    We have to "wait" because this isn't supported or released. The projects create releases for various reasons, but the most important is quality assurance,. And they chose to release on a schedule they believe they can actually support. Saying that OGL 4 is supported in main or git or whatever is only saying that the initial work is in the tree, not that it is in a final state. It works for the maintainers, and now others can test if it works with their patches, if it can work with other hardware combos, and myriad other factors including if there are bugs with the commited code, or if there are performance regressions for other things.
                    Ah ok, makes sense. So, does this mean the latest release of Mesa 10.x won't allow GL 4.0 games to play?

Comment

Working...
                    X