Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Mesa Drivers Now Supporting OpenGL 4.0+

Phoronix: Open-Source Mesa Drivers Now Supporting OpenGL 4.0+

Five years after the OpenGL 4.0 specification was introduced, the open-source Mesa 3D project has finally moved on to supporting the necessary extensions, the open-source NVIDIA (Nouveau) driver even exposes OpenGL 4.1 support this morning, and OpenGL 4.2 patches are pending.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes! (do I really need to say anything more?)

Comment

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BONAIRE
      OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.7.0-devel
      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10
      OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
      OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...ntostroy:/X11/ (radeon opengl 4.1) repo for opensuse

Comment

To bad reclocking on Fermi is even worse than on Kepler GPUs. Now I can run OpenGL 4.1 games at 50 Mhz Core Clock.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          To bad reclocking on Fermi is even worse than on Kepler GPUs. Now I can run OpenGL 4.1 games at 50 Mhz Core Clock.
          LOL. That would be more or less like trying to play e.g. Bioshock Infinite on the ancient 16MB Trident Cyber Blade XP of my old 2001 toshiba laptop... What a crappy GPU that was...
          I hope that improves in the short term.

Comment

To bad NVIDIA is not very collaborative with maxwell. :/

Comment

just invent time machine and teleport to early 90s. your machine will rock so hard

on the other hand as soon as Mesa hits 4.3 which based on how everything is unveiling due to some really outstanding work won't be too long, i'm switching my gaming to best supported vendor in that time. for now, NVidia blob... later, OSS and who knows. AMD or Nouveau with reclocking

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

just invent time machine and teleport to early 90s. your machine will rock so hard

on the other hand as soon as Mesa hits 4.3 which based on how everything is unveiling due to some really outstanding work won't be too long, i'm switching my gaming to best supported vendor in that time. for now, NVidia blob... later, OSS and who knows. AMD or Nouveau with reclocking
                Compute shaders are the next tesselation shader. IE, don't expect them to show up for quite some time. It will probably be a lot quicker than Tesselation since Intel wants to advertise GLES 3.1, but they are still a colossal roadblock for 4.3.

4.2 is feature parity with the best OSX has right now. So at least then the entire OpenGL world can target one version, finally, even if its not exactly the latest.

Comment

They already could target 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    Compute shaders are the next tesselation shader. IE, don't expect them to show up for quite some time. It will probably be a lot quicker than Tesselation since Intel wants to advertise GLES 3.1, but they are still a colossal roadblock for 4.3.
                    There's already been patches on the mesa list for compute shader support (Jordan Justen from Intel has been working on it). I haven't seen anything in a while, but it's definitely in-progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X