Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Been A Great Month So Far For Open-Source/Linux Users

Phoronix: It's Been A Great Month So Far For Open-Source/Linux Users

It's been a very exciting month so far for Linux and open-source enthusiasts, but I'm hearing that at least one really exciting announcement may still make it out in the next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great summary. I'm very excited about skylake, will probably retire my old production system for that. Also convert all my secondary computer systems. The savings in electricity alone justify the upgrade, though I will probably have to turn on the heat once in a while in these cold winter nights in Montreal (seriously, never had to turn it on before).

I'm not worried about the NSA asking questions about kbus. I'm more worried about the growing inability to fake metadata, or even have an anonymous ID online. It seems harder to have an online identity that does not tie you with your real identity, location, hardware, etc. Good for businesses, terrible for consumers. There should be a fundamental right to be anonymous, to communicate anonymously. It should be amended to the first amendment. Without it, there is no protection from backlash. Medical, political, spiritual and every other facet of your real life are now tied in to your digital identity, and any attempt to question this is seen as suspicious behavior and qualified as negative.

Metadata profiling is real. Users should be able to mask their OS, browser, identity, and so on. It's not convenient for businesses and advertisers, but I'm not a product. The use case should be "because we can", not "because currently there are technical reasons, when those are removed, sure, we won't allow people to spoof their hardware". Same with MAC addresses, identifiers hard-coded in hard-drives, cpus, etc.

Comment

Stay tuned for more exciting Linux/open-source news to come, and hopefully this particularly landmark announcement will also be part of it this month.
      Half-Life 3 confirmed; will run exclusively on Linux & open-source GPU drivers!

Comment

Haha, they should release HL3 exclusively for SteamOS, and later port it to different platforms. SteamOS is free, so it would only require to either install SteamOS or buy a computer which does have SteamOS. They can do that, so they should do that to get a small rush for SteamOS. Them wont get a rush without that.

Comment

I am getting very very sceptic about the whole concept of Vulkan.
          Nvidia is nowhere close to Wayland.
          AMD simply sucks with any and all drivers on Linux.
          I have no reason to believe it will come to Linux any time soon. And even if it does, its not gonna make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            I am getting very very sceptic about the whole concept of Vulkan.
            Nvidia is nowhere close to Wayland.
            AMD simply sucks with any and all drivers on Linux.
            I have no reason to believe it will come to Linux any time soon. And even if it does, its not gonna make any difference.
            Wayland /= Vulkan.
            Also, anecdotally, for the cards it runs on, the FOSS radeon driver has caused me a lot less pain than have Intel drivers on their respective GPU.

Comment

Working...
            X