Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Role Of KWin & Wayland On The KDE Plasma Phone

Phoronix: The Role Of KWin & Wayland On The KDE Plasma Phone

This weekend at the 2015 Akademy conference in A Coru?a, Galicia, Spain, KDE Plasma Mobile was announced. There's been a flow of new Plasma Mobile details and reference images being put out this weekend and we're starting to learn more about its proposed software stack, including its usage of Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its good that they use Wayland and single display, nobody would survive 10 crashes per hour like we have on desktop with multiple displays

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
      Its good that they use Wayland and single display, nobody would survive 10 crashes per hour like we have on desktop with multiple displays
      Stop disconnecting your screen all the time, or upgrade to Qt 5.4

Comment

This is awesome. I know this is unlikely, but I would love to be able to have a sprint plasma phone. If only some these more open smart phones would actually make it to the US...

Comment

Exciting stuff! I believe we're going to reach the point where there will be "Linux phones" on which you can install any shell you want, just like we can on most desktop Linuxes, without having to flash an entire ROM. Of course most phones these days run Linux, but as part of a tightly integrated stack for which you can't easily swap out components (Android, Tizen, Sailfish). I know Ubuntu Phone isn't so great right now, but Canonical is paving the path for a truly open Linux phone experience. Just like we have the Kubuntu flavor using KDE, we might have a Kubuntu Phone using Plasma in the not-so-distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            Stop disconnecting your screen all the time, or upgrade to Qt 5.4
            I'm on Qt5.5, have 3 displays and can't help to modify this setup due to practical needs (even just turning off DP monitor results in it disconnecting from xrandr, for example) and its the same buggy bacchanalia as 5.4/5.3 :P Besides Qt, plasmashell, kwin and kscreen has their load of multiscreen bugs.
            Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
            Just like we have the Kubuntu flavor using KDE, we might have a Kubuntu Phone using Plasma in the not-so-distant future.
            Oh, the irony XD
            Last edited by magika; 27 July 2015, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Of course most phones these days run Linux, but as part of a tightly integrated stack for which you can't easily swap out components (Android, Tizen, Sailfish).
              You can swap out components on Sailfish just fine.

Comment

Exciting stuff! I believe we're going to reach the point where there will be "Linux phones" on which you can install any shell you want, just like we can on most desktop Linuxes, without having to flash an entire ROM. Of course most phones these days run Linux, but as part of a tightly integrated stack for which you can't easily swap out components (Android, Tizen, Sailfish). I know Ubuntu Phone isn't so great right now, but Canonical is paving the path for a truly open Linux phone experience. Just like we have the Kubuntu flavor using KDE, we might have a Kubuntu Phone using Plasma in the not-so-distant future.
                Actually you kinda got that inverted. Tizen, Sailfish, and Plasma Phone should all more or less be interchangable because they're all running a standardized stack: GNU, Wayland, systemd, etc so the same software should work across all 3. Ubuntu Phone the situation is more difficult because its using Mir, which depending on the application may or may not be compatible with that stack. More interesting to me is that development now becomes much easier, and has more possibilities open if these Linux Phones become the new thing.

Comment

Do you need some kind of SDK to develop applications for this? I think ideally the development process should be the same as for desktop applications. Then we would only need sandboxed distro independant app installation to enable all applications to live in the same ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                    Do you need some kind of SDK to develop applications for this? I think ideally the development process should be the same as for desktop applications. Then we would only need sandboxed distro independant app installation to enable all applications to live in the same ecosystem.
                    You don't need an SDK. There is an SDK, KDE folks have been working on one for a while, but it is a convenience, not a requirement.

Comment

Working...
                    X