Ubuntu 15.04 On The Tegra X1 Yields Even Better Results, More Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.04 On The Tegra X1 Yields Even Better Results, More Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.04 On The Tegra X1 Yields Even Better Results, More Benchmarks

Earlier this week I posted some initial benchmark figures for the NVIDIA Tegra X1 on Ubuntu Linux. Those results showed much promise for this 64-bit ARM big.LITTLE SoC that also bears a Maxwell GPU, but that wasn't tested for the initial comparison. Here are a few more benchmark results from this Tegra X1, including an Ubuntu 15.04 installation to show the difference against the Tegra X1 on Ubuntu 14.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why oh why doesn't Canonical try and persuade companies like NVidia to get a tablet running Ubuntu like this out in the shops! The same goes for much of the Chromebook hardware. My workhorse laptop is an Acer C710 Chromebook with reflashed CoreBoot/SeaBIOS, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Very usable little machine although not for heavy gaming of course. Just imagine a decent laptop based on a Tegra X1 but running Ubuntu or Linux Mint with a standard SSD slot and upgradable memory. Please Canonical can you pester NVidia so we have this on the high street in the UK! Same goes for NVidia - there is a market out there.

Comment

Does the graphics chip work on the Tegra X1 under Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Don't know for sure until I have physical access to a system, thus why I've just been running CPU tests. There is the binary blob and CUDA installed, but without seeing display, not sure if everything is running right / rendering well, etc.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          The X1 was already running Ubuntu with accelerated graphics on Ubuntu at CES in January - the vast majority of the X1 demos were running what certainly looked to be Ubuntu 14.10. I think only one or two used Android.

In fact, while I'm quite sure the X1 supports Ubuntu Linux (at least for internal use; I believe Drive PX ships with it). I've seen no evidence that other OS like Windows or OSX are supported.

Comment

Hmm, so this thing has unlocked boot loader? Hmh too bad that 500GB version costs $299, while 16GB version is $199(haven't seen teardowns, that would show can you put a normal 2.5" drive there).

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              Hmm, so this thing has unlocked boot loader?
              Probably. I have the Shield Tablet and it was just like a Nexus - as simple as fastboot oem unlock.

Comment

Working...
              X