Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Fedora Easily To Mesa 10.7/Git

Phoronix: Upgrading Fedora Easily To Mesa 10.7/Git

With all of the Mesa OpenGL 4 happenings -- and most recently OpenGL 4.1 for RadeonSI -- you may be wondering how to run this latest code prior to its official release in September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is awesome. I hadn't located this before, although I've been using Fedora for a few years now. I've been going to the source repos, getting the SRPMS, installing them, modifying the SPEC files, then doing the GIT checkout and the builds. This is SO much easier (and more likely to have less weird deviations from Fedora due to removing patches).

Comment

Seems weird adding git repos to versioned distros to me. If you want to run cutting edge code then surely you'd go for a rolling release distro?

My preferred method for adding mesa git :
      Code:
      yaourt mesa-git
      But I'm happy to wait for it to hit the main pacman repos rather than install from the AUR. It's not like I'll be waiting long.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Seems weird adding git repos to versioned distros to me. If you want to run cutting edge code then surely you'd go for a rolling release distro?

My preferred method for adding mesa git :
        Code:
        yaourt mesa-git
        But I'm happy to wait for it to hit the main pacman repos rather than install from the AUR. It's not like I'll be waiting long.
        Exactly what I thought. Arch's AUR has everything you really need. Can't live without it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          surely there exist rolling mesa only distro? oh wait

Comment

Sadly I haven't been able to update any of my Coprs/packages the past week due to a bug in Mock which Copr uses to parse HTTP content-disposition headers. I reported the bug upstream and it was fixed today, but I'll have to wait for a new Mock release to hit Copr. I'll likely try to workaround this until then by switching file hosts.

I don't have any plans on switching to LLVM trunk due to the extra maintenance burden and to try to keep a stable LLVM/Clang/LLDB for users that rely on it. However, I will probably switch to LLVM 3.7 before it's officially released, I just wanted to wait until rc2+.

It's nice to know there's others that benefit from my Mesa Copr other than myself

Comment

Created a temporary git repository on Bitbucket for the SRPMs as a workaround until Mock gets updated. Just finished building the latest packages.

I'll also be adding F23 support when I add LLVM 3.7

EDIT: LLVM 3.7.0 RC2 was tagged a few hours ago. Assuming I don't run into any big issues, expect LLVM 3.7 within a couple days after they've uploaded the source tarballs.
              Last edited by Ouroboros; 30 July 2015, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Thank you Ouroboros, such a repo was quite needed for fedora for ppl only wanting to update the graphics stack and keep everything else on their system stable. It's much appreciated!

Comment

this is great, but I need openGL 3.3 because Dying Light, which I just bought, requires it. What do other ppl who bought that game on Linux do? Use Catalyst?

Comment

Originally posted by finite9 View Post
                    this is great, but I need openGL 3.3 because Dying Light, which I just bought, requires it. What do other ppl who bought that game on Linux do? Use Catalyst?
                    GL3.3 should already be supported by all the hardware that can run it, so you're going to have to be a bit more specific about what your problem is.

Comment

Working...
                    X