Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Broadwell Iris Pro Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Linux

Phoronix: Intel Broadwell Iris Pro Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Linux

Resulting from the What Windows 10 vs. Linux Benchmarks Would You Like To See and The Phoronix Test Suite Is Running On Windows 10, here are our first benchmarks comparing the performance of Microsoft's newly released Windows 10 Pro x64 against Fedora 22 when looking at the Intel's OpenGL driver performance across platforms.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Intel open source driver is in pretty good shape.
    Also, that Intel chip is performing pretty pretty good.

Could you add some more 3D games like Metro, CS:GO, L4D2, Bioshock?

Can you also script Interstellar Marines? Would be nice to see some Unity comparisons....

Thanks for a great job anyway

br Magnus

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
      Could you add some more 3D games like Metro, CS:GO, L4D2, Bioshock?

Can you also script Interstellar Marines? Would be nice to see some Unity comparisons....
      Already explained in other threads and articles that without a lot more support from readers either contributing financially or with Windows scripts, not much more will happen, or until any PTS commercial Windows clients.

Like I know the Metro games won't work easily because under Linux they expose their benchmark utility as just command line switches while under Windows it's just a GUI. For some of the other Steam games, the options/defaults are different between Windows & Linux, etc. So it's really a lot of time involved in order to get more Windows tests that are -- properly comparable to Linux -- and seeing how much other stuff I have on my plate, it's really not worth it under current conditions. Made now just $50 in tips for Windows 10 testing while setting up the proper comparisons/scripts for other new tests would come down to probably 30+ hours of work for a really good comparison, not including the test times.

As far as I know, Interstellar Machines allows no way for reproducible tests.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am not up to speed on OpenGL. If the O.S. driver exposes more OpenGL 4.x features, like I hear are almost ready to roll, would the game pick those up and hopefully improve the benchmark runs? It would be interesting to know what is due to the lack of OpenGL 4.x features, and what is due to implementation differences. What is it that is giving Windows that 10% edge?

Comment

Shouldn't the title of this article be "Intel Broadwell Iris Pro Graphics: A Disaster on Linux"?

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
            I am not up to speed on OpenGL. If the O.S. driver exposes more OpenGL 4.x features, like I hear are almost ready to roll, would the game pick those up and hopefully improve the benchmark runs?
            I don't know, but I really doubt it. OpenArena etc. are pretty old games, so unless someone invested quite a lot of work to make use of modern OpenGL 4.x features (which no open source driver supported until recently, which makes that scenario even more unlikely, seeing how they are open source games)? No change expected.

Comment

I guess selection of the games are those that people actually playing It is slower then Windows 10 on release, that will likely never be fixed for Broadwell... let alone that this is 3 months long paper launch product And that you can buy CPU+GPU for $200 less with better GPU performance, and so on...

In your wording Micheal this is not just disaster, this article is utter disaster - even if you "unintentionally" missed to say so.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Intel Broadwell Iris Pro Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Linux
                As a reminder, the Intel Windows driver exposes OpenGL 4.3 and OpenCL 2.0 support while at the moment the Intel driver exposes OpenGL 3.3 (but 4.0~4.1 in the coming days) and OpenCL 1.2.
                That's pretty generous... they've still got a ways to go on both tess and fp64. And these are features that will end up with differences across generations too. I doubt it'll be ready "in the coming days". But if they made a concerted effort, making the Mesa 11.0 release isn't out of the question.

Comment

Remind me what's the point of comparing ages old games? Or why would anyone care about 150+ FPS difference.

What about something a tad more recent, like e.g. Counter Strike Global Offensive, Metro Last Light, Dying Light, SM civ V, BioShock Infinite, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Windows: Can reasonably run a desktop environment
                    Linux: Can reasonably run a desktop environment.

Comparison done, that is all iGPU is meant for, even if for some reason they try to put ressources into it.
                    Last edited by user82; 30 July 2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X