Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 223 Adds New Network Options, Splits Out Python Code

Phoronix: Systemd 223 Adds New Network Options, Splits Out Python Code

Prolific systemd contributor David Herrmann announced the release of systemd 223 today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

An embarrasingly hacked together Init System, using an old version of python. Mediocre.

Good that they got rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by nasyt View Post
      An embarrasingly hacked together Init System, using an old version of python. Mediocre.

Good that they got rid of it.
      Please, by all means, provide a better solution. World is waiting. Oh wait, you cant. So why dont you keep silent then?

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

Please, by all means, provide a better solution. World is waiting. Oh wait, you cant. So why dont you keep silent then?
        Don't use/rely on Python until /usr exists and use the system version *if* you really really must use Python WHICH is debatable

I mean Python is slower than sh and systemd people were complaining about the speed of sh for init (until their speed stance was proven FUD and now it's all about security)

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post

Don't use/rely on Python until /usr exists and use the system version *if* you really really must use Python WHICH is debatable

I mean Python is slower than sh and systemd people were complaining about the speed of sh for init (until their speed stance was proven FUD and now it's all about security)
          python-systemd is not used for booting the system but contains native bindings to access systemd via python.
          AFAIK where is also no other python code in systemd. So your completely miss the point.

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post

python-systemd is not used for booting the system but contains native bindings to access systemd via python.
            AFAIK where is also no other python code in systemd. So your completely miss the point.
            Also, the reasonable observer would posit that python seems popular for system-related management tasks inside e.g. RedHat and Canonical etc.

Thus it would seem a relatively sensible move to ensure that systemd exposes its functionality via python bindings, such that existing tools can be reused and refactored to use the exposed systemd functionality, possibly getting rid of vendor-specific python code in the process.

Lest we forget, part of the reason systemd exists is so that less time and resources will be spent on reinventing the plumbing layers in distro-specific silos. Being able to pool resources across distributions in the OS plumbing layer context so that we may discover and develop more optimal plumbing solutions together will likely result in Linux becoming a more viable base platform to build on.

In that light, having well-maintained systemd <-> python bindings would seem an obvious boon?

Comment

Boolean bridge configuration options? What is that? I'm familiar with bridged networking for /etc/network/interfaces in Ubuntu 15.10 and I have LXC containers bridged to br0.

What does "Boolean" have to do with bridge configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                Boolean bridge configuration options? What is that? I'm familiar with bridged networking for /etc/network/interfaces in Ubuntu 15.10 and I have LXC containers bridged to br0.

Maybe you should read the linked release announcement?

- A set of boolean bridge configuration options were added. 'UseBPDU=', 'HairPin=', 'FastLeave=', 'AllowPortToBeRoot=', and 'UnicastFlood=' are now parsed by networkd and applied to the respective bridge link device via the respective IFLA_BRPORT_* netlink attribute.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

booleam means yes/no

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post

don't post bullshit in forums
                    i mean educate yourself before making fool of yourself in public

Comment

Working...
                    X