Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor On Linux

Phoronix: Benchmarking Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor On Linux

Yesterday Feral Games released Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor for Linux and Mac OS X. Since its release, I've been very busy working to get some benchmark results produced for this AAA game that's out for Linux one year after the Windows released. Included in these initial results for Shadow of Mordor are benchmark results for a few modern high-end graphics cards plus looking into the warning issued by Feral about the lack of AMD support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Impressive size for a game, 67 GB is much more than my 40 GB 4G limit But this is really a demanding title, especially good to improve gfx drivers - AMD should create a nice CAP for it and fix the rendering issues/crashes. Not sure how fast that will happen as i guess they have got enough to do with Win 10... Automated testing options would be really nice, but that game is way over my limit to test it - maybe they could add a "little" demo with just a few GB.

Comment

If they don't put the "Tiger team" on this and solve it ASAP, I think we can assume they've completely given up on GL for anything but legacy and are putting all their eggs into Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Impressive size for a game, 67 GB is much more than my 40 GB 4G limit But this is really a demanding title, especially good to improve gfx drivers - AMD should create a nice CAP for it and fix the rendering issues/crashes. Not sure how fast that will happen as i guess they have got enough to do with Win 10... Automated testing options would be really nice, but that game is way over my limit to test it - maybe they could add a "little" demo with just a few GB.
        this was explained on reddit. Linux version with all DLC is 41.5GB. 67GB is OSX since it hasn't got compressed textures

Comment

I preordered it way back, so now i got it even though im running open source drivers on a AMD card. It.. actually runs! Performance is quite poor though, and a lot of models are invisible, sooo definitely unplayable.

Comment

Just to make sure before buying, this is not a dropdown etc. game but the videos are actual in game taken? So it's Tomb Raider, 3rd person style but with even better graphics etc.?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
              Just to make sure before buying, this is not a dropdown etc. game but the videos are actual in game taken? So it's Tomb Raider, 3rd person style but with even better graphics etc.?
              Thanks
              It's basically an Assassin's Creed clone with awful controller mappings and no way to fix as irrelated actions are hardcoded together and you only get to decide which key they are bound to

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                Thanks
                I dont think that battling massive amount of orcs has anything to do with Tomb Raider, check youtube for gameplay videos. This is more like toned down God of War than Tomb Raider.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  I dont think that battling massive amount of orcs has anything to do with Tomb Raider, check youtube for gameplay videos. This is more like toned down God of War than Tomb Raider.
                  It's more of a stealth game, really. You are in Mordor so if you get involved in those massive battles you need to keep in mind orcs get a fairly steady supply of reinforcements in most places that matter

Comment

Well I mean the gameplay. You're behind the player(Lara Croft) in a 3D world, seeing the player do things etc.? I don't have those other games mentioned, so if I'm wrong thanks for letting me know. The videos look better than Tomb Raider's world, real game world? Must be gorgeous then...well I search youtube now.

Comment

Working...
                    X