Beignet 1.1 Released With Skylake, SPIR Support, Other New OpenCL Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beignet 1.1 Released With Skylake, SPIR Support, Other New OpenCL Features

Phoronix: Beignet 1.1 Released With Skylake, SPIR Support, Other New OpenCL Features

Beignet, the project for providing open-source OpenCL support on Intel Iris/HD Graphics hardware, has released a new version of their Intel OpenCL implementation for Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least Beignet has full OpenCL 1.2 support while the Gallium3D OpenCL is still limited to OpenCL 1.1.
    This is getting rather annoying. While I have nothing against new standards support,
    1) Are there any real-world programs which DEMAND OpenCL 1.2 or even 2.0? From practical standpoint, most workloads are usually fine with OpenCL 1.1
    2) Michael can praise intel as much as he wants to, but Intel's integrated graphics is no match to real GPUs, and whole point of OpenCL is to go beyound limits of CPUs with relatively few cores. So it mostly looks like marketing bullshit. What is the point of OpenCL 2.0 on crappy integrated stuff? It simply not going to provide groundbreaking speed and therefore mostly useless. R9 270 smashes my CPU by factor of 40 in some computations. That's what I call improvement. Has Intel got something comparable, or what? Some OpenCL benchmarks of this intel stuff, after all?

On side note it's quite funny AMD has been outrun by Intel in their own OpenCL though.
    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 01 August 2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      This is getting rather annoying. While I have nothing against new standards support,
      1) Are there any real-world programs which DEMAND OpenCL 1.2 or even 2.0? From practical standpoint, most workloads are usually fine with OpenCL 1.1
      2) Michael can praise intel as much as he wants to, but Intel's integrated graphics is no match to real GPUs, and whole point of OpenCL is to go beyound limits of CPUs with relatively few cores. So it mostly looks like marketing bullshit. What is the point of OpenCL 2.0 on crappy integrated stuff? It simply not going to provide groundbreaking speed and therefore mostly useless. R9 270 smashes my CPU by factor of 40 in some computations. That's what I call improvement. Has Intel got something comparable, or what? Some OpenCL benchmarks of this intel stuff, after all?

On side note it's quite funny AMD has been outrun by Intel in their own OpenCL though.

Comment

Working...
      X