Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 1.7.48 Tackles More Direct3D Code, Other Changes

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 1.7.48 Tackles More Direct3D Code, Other Changes

With Wine 1.7.48 having been delayed compared to its normal release cycle, the adjoining Wine-Staging update was also delayed but made it out this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no gallium nine support?
    I am very sure Outlast is at least playable on my machine if i would use wine + d3dadapter + radeonsi.
    With catalyst and the so called native port which is actually some eON or wine whatever wrapper even the menu is unusable slow.
    Why? Because everybody buys Intel/nVidia and there is no wine supporting OpenGL out there but wine supporting nVidia-OpenGL.
    It's a shame.

Comment

Just wanna thank the Wine Staging Team again for their tremendous work! Pls continue

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        I am very sure Outlast is at least playable on my machine if i would use wine + d3dadapter + radeonsi.
        With catalyst and the so called native port which is actually some eON or wine whatever wrapper even the menu is unusable slow.
        Why? Because everybody buys Intel/nVidia and there is no wine supporting OpenGL out there but wine supporting nVidia-OpenGL.
        It's a shame.

what are you dreaming about Outlast is not wine or eON. unless you have a Mac where there was wineskin. Linux version is native, just check binaries. it runs full time 60Hz for me on 1080p

you probably have the usual amd problem. catalyst being so slow on gl that even galium nine works faster

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          It's a shame.
          They'll never support Gallium Nine and it's probably never gonna change. Wine needs a plugin system so people can easily add this kind of support but nah.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

They'll never support Gallium Nine and it's probably never gonna change. Wine needs a plugin system so people can easily add this kind of support but nah.
            The Gallium Nine patchset is like 50k lines of code. Its a bit much for a plugin, and it basically rips out the entire d3d backend.

I run the AUR d3dadapter patch. I can run so many games so incredibly well on my r9 290 its astounding. The fact upstream Wine does not realize the utility of native d3d is just absurd. Yes, its niche since the only real consumers of it are free software radeon card users. Its a niche that should grow in the coming years, and honestly if anyone gave a shit d3dadapter wine is a selling point of steam machines running Mesa radeon drivers to play Windows games from before 2012, because its a fully free way to play such titles at native speeds, often with better compatibility support than Windows itself has.

Comment

Most linux "gamers" use nvidia. The user base for nine support would be very low, and it would make maintenance a lot harder. (Wine packages with nine usually fail to build 98/100...)

Comment

I just did
                Code:
                git reset --hard wine-1.7.48
                git merge nine/master
                And had no problems building it.
                Of course it's not wine staging, but that shouldn't be too different.

Comment

There is a bugreport on the wine-staging bugtracker to implement an option to use gallium nine but the person working on it seems busy with other things right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X