Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow of Mordor Performance: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Shadow of Mordor Performance: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Last week Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor was released for Linux after this AAA game premiered for Windows last year. Following its release I ran some Shadow of Mordor Linux benchmarks (and part two). Today are results on the same system when comparing the performance of this game under Ubuntu 15.04 to that of Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, now I don't feel so bad that they didn't bother supporting AMD. But at least if you have one of the more expensive nvidia GPUs it should still be playable. This situation doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as Witcher 2, but if this game is anything like that, it should eventually be playable even on open source drivers. I'm glad I didn't buy this yet.

Comment

Michael, I hope you disabled the keylogger service before feeding your Steam password to Windows 10. Otherwise Microsoft has your password now, and while it would be sci-fi to think that MS starts hijacking accounts, once their servers are compromised, you data will be out. Same for the email confirming SteamGuard on the fresh install...

Comment

To be fair, The Witcher 2 is running a lot better than it was in the launch. I recently installed it in Windows and was surprised by how little difference in performance it has in Linux running in the radeonsi driver. Nowhere near the difference SoM is having now with a native port by Feral.

Comment

Blah, game perform suboptimal on any hardware

So long about lies that nVidia perform the same on Linux and Windows... i guess they need to fix their drivers

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            To be fair, The Witcher 2 is running a lot better than it was in the launch. I recently installed it in Windows and was surprised by how little difference in performance it has in Linux running in the radeonsi driver. Nowhere near the difference SoM is having now with a native port by Feral.
            I'm playing the wither 2 on R600 trinity. The performance is bad. I don't know why with wine is better.

Comment

Luckily I waited to get it because it is not running well on AMD hardware, but I am really suprised that it underperforms even on Nvidia in such a heavy way.

Comment

Enlightening results; thanks for the test.

Is it wishful thinking to expect that within two years time when DX12 and Vulkan are the norm for AAA games that such discrepancies will be a thing of the past?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Michael, I hope you disabled the keylogger service before feeding your Steam password to Windows 10. Otherwise Microsoft has your password now, and while it would be sci-fi to think that MS starts hijacking accounts, once their servers are compromised, you data will be out. Same for the email confirming SteamGuard on the fresh install...
                  Wasn't it only the beta technical preview version which had keylogger?

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

I'm playing the wither 2 on R600 trinity. The performance is bad. I don't know why with wine is better.
                    Because Wine is a much better DX translation layer to GL than the Eon crap they are using.

Witcher 2 runs like ass because its effectively the same as playing a wine game with an unoptimized DX -> GL translator.

Shadows of Mordor is slower on Linux because of either of these reasons:
                    • Nvidia's OpenGL driver is suboptimal to their DX one.
                    • Feral's reimplementation of the DX code in OpenGL is suboptimal.

Probably the later, the same thing happens with Aspyr ports like Borderlands and Civilization. They are just making the games run, rather than optimizing them to run well, usually by using the same workflows as DX except reproducing them in GL. By comparison Valve put a lot more time and effort into writing novel renderers for OpenGL that took advantage of OpenGL features to make their games run faster on Linux than they ever did on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X