Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXWM: Turning Emacs Into An X Window Manager

Phoronix: EXWM: Turning Emacs Into An X Window Manager

Emacs is known to be a fully-customizable text-editor that can yield crazy abilities from playing games to emulating vi/vim to being an "OS inside an OS" with Emacs Lisp. The latest feature for Emacs is serving as an X Window Manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wow... emacs. now that brings back some memories.

Comment

Can I also use it as init system?

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
        Can I also use it as init system?
        Well, that's what they say about Emacs... it's a great OS, but it just needs a decent text editor...

Comment

But why isn't it a Wayland compositor?

I was originally just going to say this in jest but as I thought about it I realized that it was actually a somewhat legitimate question.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
            But why isn't it a Wayland compositor?

I was originally just going to say this in jest but as I thought about it I realized that it was actually a somewhat legitimate question.

Just a compositor would not mean it can manage windows. A libweston based window manager would make more sense.

Comment

wow thats really great news and not from a funny viewpoint. at the moment I use stumpwm and I try to merge emacs and stumwm commandos with some sucess, so menu+enter starts cmd mode in stumpwm but menu+menu+enter starts cmd input mode in emacs or in conkeror. So at least I dont need a seperate key but can use the easiest for me to hit second space bar key on my keyboard as start for everything.

and the config in stumpwm is lisp based so not so primitiv then most other tiling-wms I also thought to install guix because I like it and there is guile-wm what could be interesting too. btw the bufferselection menu in emacs is also better than the one in stumpwm. it hides all that dont matches your selection and you clearly see the selected and the smex/ido seach system allows better regexes not only one substring without skipping parts of the name.

this is so great, love it! Will not say its perfect but...shure close love living in emacs but I need a external browser Eww just does the job for me yet.

To the question if emacs is a init system I guess we are there in 2 years:

we have at least a lisp based init system: dnd

and last fosdem had a talk about "the emacs of distros" which refered to guix or GuixSD. So its not all 100% integrated (yet) but it gets close and with lisp you are golden with that

Comment

There is nothing comparable to GNU Emacs. It's the ultimate tool for many things. You can only wonder on awe that how such software came together. But the best part is that it is GPL licensed so it's free to use for ever.

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                Well, that's what they say about Emacs... it's a great OS, but it just needs a decent text editor...
                Well, it's still a far better text editor than vi. Everyone can agree that even vi's creator, Bill Joy, does not use vi. As a matter of fact Bill Joy prefers the more primitive ed over vi. That tells you a lot about the state of vi. Emacs is the opposite if that. Many love Emacs especially it's developers. Emacs was created with love.

Comment

No. Just please, no.

Comment

Finally, I can run Mousepad in Emacs.

Comment

Working...
                    X