Intel Releases Its First Skylake CPUs: Core i7 6700K & Core i5 6600K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Its First Skylake CPUs: Core i7 6700K & Core i5 6600K

Phoronix: Intel Releases Its First Skylake CPUs: Core i7 6700K & Core i5 6600K

This morning from Germany Intel announced the release of the first Skylake desktop processors alongside the new Intel Z170 chipset...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news, I am hoping that there will be some bargains to be had buying Haswell or Broadwell computers.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_MPX !
      Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

I don't get it - assuming Intel always ships products to you for free, I really don't understand why they wait until the release day to send them. They always send out their samples to other reviewers ahead of time, so they can post their reviews on the product release day. IIRC, nvidia has been doing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I don't get it - assuming Intel always ships products to you for free, I really don't understand why they wait until the release day to send them. They always send out their samples to other reviewers ahead of time, so they can post their reviews on the product release day. IIRC, nvidia has been doing the same thing.
          They do. Sometimes I get them ahead of time, sometimes I don't. With Skylake I was late on finishing off my i7-5775C testing due to the Ubuntu Linux issues so only started talking to Intel about Skylake review samples a few days ago. With past Haswell launches from Devil's Canyon to Haswell-E, it was all ahead of time.

With NVIDIA, it's also a scheduling matter and when they have review samples for Linux testing or if they're attached to first talking to the PR/marketing briefings and such, I usually skip those briefings as it's just a Windows orgy, then just ask for samples after the fact. Sometimes before launch, sometimes after.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
            I am hoping that there will be some bargains to be had buying Haswell or Broadwell computers.
            The H170/Z170 chipset looks like a compelling upgrade over H97/Z97, which would make me think long and hard about going the Haswell route unless I found a really good discount(s), even if Skylake and DDR4 don't seem like significant upgrades.

Broadwell seems very nice for an HTPC or server-style system, but they're a bit hard to find for sale from what I've read.

Comment

Michael, when you got the samples, please do a memory scaling benchmark with the iGPU, because the Windows benchmarks I'm seeing are a disappointment after another. The only one doing it is from 1866 to 3600 MHz, but they set the games to run at 640x480. Unbelievable...

Comment

Anyone know how quickly the Xeon E3's usually come out? Want 8 threads for my renderbox but $350 is a little steep for me
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Somehow I was expecting 6 and 8 core cpu's to be the norm for desktop by now. Seems like we've gone back to hunting higher frequencies combined with the usual higher IPC with each die shrink.

As someone who is way, way overdue for a full system upgrade, I'll be looking at the reviews with interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Anyone know how quickly the Xeon E3's usually come out? Want 8 threads for my renderbox but $350 is a little steep for me
                    Do you want 8 threads? Get the FX-8350 then, much cheaper and pretty good for rendering.

Comment

Working...
                    X