Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointer Acceleration Code Being Cleaned Up For Libinput

Phoronix: Pointer Acceleration Code Being Cleaned Up For Libinput

Yesterday when writing about libinput 0.21 being released and libinput 1.0 appearing around the corner, the forum discussion quickly turned into a matter of libinput's pointer acceleration support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good. It really sucks right now. I mean really at this day and age that mouse cursers can be so laggy and jittery is just plain wrong. It only requires a few thousand cycles out of billions available to process. I just don't get it. It doesn't seem possible in todays age to have a buggy CPU bound curser. And yet that's what it is....

Comment

And development takes so slow for something that's already implemented into X

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
        I fail to comprehend how presence of xf86-input-libinput slows upstream developement. However pointer acceleration was already implemented in libinput so we get a clean up, no reason to complain whatsoever.

Comment

No one who is actually knowledgable about X's input stack can look at it think its better. Even if libinput DOES have pointer accel issues the very fact that its a singular stack rather than THREE stacks makes it night and day better. Scrapping X isn't about copying X, it's about rewriting the entire ideas and methodologies and muttering "Never again..." as we set the old one's on fire deep in the woods-- that takes time.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Clearly you are not a developer. I would rather them take their time and make the right decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              Clearly you are not a developer. I would rather them take their time and make the right decisions.
              You are right. I don't do low-level programming. I can't grasp how different it would be to evdev?

Comment

Yeah, when I hotplug an external monitor to my Thinkpad, the touchpad acceleration doubles along that axis alone (ie, with second monitor above primary, vertical acceleration doubles, while horizontal stays the same).

I confirmed this regression at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31636 ("Greater horizontal than vertical pointer acceleration with synaptics"), and was kinda wondering about it lately.

So, it looks like this should either fix it, or certainly lay the ground work for fixing it soon. I'm very glad to see this work, and appreciate Peter and all the other dev's work on this stuff. It's not glamorous, but it's certainly important!

Comment

Working...
                X