Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Will Soon Roll Out Btrfs On Production Systems

Phoronix: Facebook Will Soon Roll Out Btrfs On Production Systems

Back in 2013 Facebook began poaching top Btrfs developers and last year we reported on Facebook trying out Btrfs on some servers. Now it seems they're getting ready to utilize more of this next-generation Linux file-system in a production capacity...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Btrfs is also used in production on SailfishOS/Jolla: I heard some people complaining about it but I never experienced any problem myself...

Comment

This is exciting. I hope the results are good!

Comment

Originally posted by elldekaa View Post
        Btrfs is also used in production on SailfishOS/Jolla: I heard some people complaining about it but I never experienced any problem myself...
        I've been running btrfs for some time now without any problems and am more than happy with it, it's a great fs. I'm not using raid 5/6 though.

Comment

I always experiment problem, used mostly in raid5 and with snapshot. Include on SSD, hdd, SD card.
          Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

I recently had a problem with btrfs - but nothing that would stop me from using it. The btrfs check tool available in 14.04 was not fixing a problem that it was reporting. This was solved with a newer version of the btrfs-tools package (from 15.04). While annoying it was more of a distro/packaging problem than a upstream issue (since the issue had already been solved)

Comment

oh well, let's go with openSuse then till Fedora makes the big move

Comment

I'm using it on various setups and so far I haven't ran into any issues. Though I haven't used RAID5/6 because devs honestly told it is early preview. On other hand, Btrfs isn't resource hog unlike ZFS and reasonably fast in most scenarios. Yet, snapshots are great, compression speeds up things on mechanical drives and "referenced copies" are both instant and space-saving. It is really cool to clone several Gb VM diskfile into another instance in a blink of eye.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                  I'm using it on various setups and so far I haven't ran into any issues. Though I haven't used RAID5/6 because devs honestly told it is early preview. On other hand, Btrfs isn't resource hog unlike ZFS and reasonably fast in most scenarios. Yet, snapshots are great, compression speeds up things on mechanical drives and "referenced copies" are both instant and space-saving. It is really cool to clone several Gb VM diskfile into another instance in a blink of eye.
                  I'm also running it on a sdcard in a raspberry pi 2, with subvols, snaps but no raid obviously. Compression is on and it gives a very appreciable performance boost un this case.

I've also been running ZFS on some boxes and it's interesting to compare the two. But, with apologies to the fanboys on both sides, there really isn't an obvious winner.

Comment

Originally posted by elldekaa View Post
                    Quite many users have experienced issues with btrfs on the Jolla smartphone and the upcoming Jolla tablet will most likely use EXT4 on LVM instead.
                    SailfishOS 1.1.4.28 (?ij?np?iv?nj?rvi) and onwards: Jolla has implemented a workaround Jolla has implemented filesystem ...

Comment

Working...
                    X