Easily Swap Between AMD & NVIDIA OpenGL Linux Drivers At Boot Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easily Swap Between AMD & NVIDIA OpenGL Linux Drivers At Boot Time

Phoronix: Easily Swap Between AMD & NVIDIA OpenGL Linux Drivers At Boot Time

For benchmarkers, or distributions that ship the closed source drivers, it might be a pain to constantly be swapping between the two closed source drivers. It would appear that one developer was annoyed by this enough to try and create a solution. Meet: gpu-driver-swap by mikeanthonywild...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is supposed to just work without a hitch.
    X.Org supports auto-detection of hardware.
    So swap between graphics card works when using the open source device drivers.

The problem is that Nvidia proprietary drivers overrides libglx.so (or something, I forgot) with their own modified version.
    And so does the AMD proprietary drivers.
    So they are not compatible with each other.
    Last edited by uid313; 07 August 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

That's not really a problem for gentoo or arch users. Gentoo at least has had eselect to switch opengl profiles for a long time. I had always assumed Fedora and Ubuntu and the rest must have had similar tools too.

Comment

Hm, speaking of which, how is progress on that NVIDIA initiative to solve this in a clean fashion, so that nobody overrides any .so files?

Comment

I would much rather that libglvnd catches on; so that all the drivers can live together:

The GL Vendor-Neutral Dispatch library. Contribute to NVIDIA/libglvnd development by creating an account on GitHub.

Are there no updates about plans to adopt it?

Surely something that enables co-operation and coexistence is better than pretending other GL implementations don't exist? Regardless what you think about each camp.

Comment

This should have been udev action instead of some weird boot time scripting

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post
              This should have been udev action instead of some weird boot time scripting
              I disagree with that. Udev manages devices nodes and that's all it should do. It shouldn't touch anything at all outside of /dev. Everybody that doesn't know complains about shell scripting, but the real truth is, it's one of the most awesome and powerful features of desktop linux. There's a a good reason why shell scripts are implemented so widely. Often times they are the simplest way to solve a problem.
              Last edited by duby229; 07 August 2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                That's not really a problem for gentoo or arch users. Gentoo at least has had eselect to switch opengl profiles for a long time. I had always assumed Fedora and Ubuntu and the rest must have had similar tools too.
                I'm not sure ANY other distro other than Sabayon has a 'gpu driver switcher' method like Gentoo does. Even Arch I'm not sure about, unless its something out of the AUR.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

I'm not sure ANY other distro other than Sabayon has a 'gpu driver switcher' method like Gentoo does. Even Arch I'm not sure about, unless its something out of the AUR.
                  Arch has eselect available on aur.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Actually, there is update-alternatives, which at least on openSUSE has an entry for libglx.so.

Comment

Working...
                    X