Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFF Releases Privacy Badger To Try To Stop Online Tracking

Phoronix: EFF Releases Privacy Badger To Try To Stop Online Tracking

The Electronic Frontier Foundation announced this week the release of the GPLv3-licensed Privacy Badger 1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why it's not on mozilla official 'store'?

Comment

They should do something to help privacy in operating systems
      Websites tracking is child's play compared to the power that an OS has to track

Comment

I'lll stick with Ghostery until you can actually find Privacy Badger in Firefox's addon page.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          I'lll stick with Ghostery until you can actually find Privacy Badger in Firefox's addon page.
          Ghostery is proprietary, FYI.
          I suggest Disconnect. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...l-product-icon

Just so you know... Ghostery is owned by an ad company.
          Last edited by peppercats; 07 August 2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Maybe is not in the Firefox's addon page cause new addons needs up to 12 weeks to be reviewed.
            I post these updates every 3 weeks to inform add-on developers about the status of the review queues, add-on compatibility, and other happenings in the add-ons world. Add-ons Forum As ...

Anyway if you are using uBlock and the firefox tracking protection probably there's nothing left for Privacy Badger to block.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Nobody uses the operating system anymore.
              Most people only use the operating system to launch the web browser.
              They do everything inside the web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

Thanks. I didn't know that.
                That is very interesting.
                I wonder how come an ad company makes something like Ghostery.
                Isn't this the last thing they want people to use?
                Isn't it a threat to their business model?
                I would expect an ad company to try to sue something like Ghostery, not develop something like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Web tracking is not child's play. http://samy.pl/evercookie/ and https://panopticlick.eff.org/ - two different ways your browser can be tracked, and if a group of hobbyist free software enthusiasts can come up with them you can bet everything you own that Google Ad Services and every major advertising network has something at least as good. Privacy Badger, Ghostery, Disconnect, etc... are very weak connections (edit: I meant protections, not connections) against either of them.

But further, Mozilla just works with the browser. Offering an OS is a whole different job.
                  Last edited by Michael_S; 07 August 2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

If you're using FireFox you can enable it's built-in tracking protection, which uses Disconnect's block list and makes the Disconnect extension redundant.

Also, there's a lot of FUD going around about Ghostery being owned by an ad company. But third-party analysis shows that the Ghostery extension is an effective tracker blocker, and any sort of reporting that could be used to profit by Ghostery is available on an opt-in basis only. Personally, I use FireFox tracking protection and Ghostery (opted out of reporting) in tandem with no concerns.

Comment

Working...
                    X