Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Deb-Based Software Center Fails As An App Store

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Deb-Based Software Center Fails As An App Store

Aside from the Ubuntu Software Center on the desktop frustrating some users over being slow and outdated compared to other "software stores", some app developers are also unhappy with Canonical's handling of the USC for paid apps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's fine with me. I can do without the Apple/Android type consumerism and pointless computer games. Ubuntu will cease to be relevant once they become just another clone of the mass market os's. Ubuntu didn't used to be doing something right just by screwing up.

Comment

As always Canonical is cornered with the rolling release speed, every 6 month is far too much, 9 month or 1 year would be more realistic.
      Since they launched so many other projects they are clearly undersized.

Maybe they should too stop non-LTS for non technical users, because it is impossible to maintain all those versions continuously.
      This means no more upgrade proposal to those (removed even in the options) and a clear comment that all non-LTS are preview/test/dev versions.

This would divide their basic/repetitive job by several degrees.

Everytime I install a non-LTS I get frustrated with bugs or missing stuff. That said this is the case even on LTS, until xx.1...

Comment

Originally posted by laceration View Post
        That's fine with me. I can do without the Apple/Android type consumerism and pointless computer games. Ubuntu will cease to be relevant once they become just another clone of the mass market os's. Ubuntu didn't used to be doing something right just by screwing up.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul

Comment

Originally posted by laceration View Post

really? in your opinion we should back to command line desktop?

Comment

Store will be overhauled when Unity 8 and Mir are complete, since Ubuntu will be switching from .deb to .snap packages which will run in a contained environment like .click packages on the phone, X applications will run via LXC container because X applications cannot be confined like click/snap applications can, this will make PPAs obsolete and developers will be able to upload their software to the Store under their name, much like Google Play, and in new Snappy base for the OS applications are separated from the OS for greater security and it will be much easier to update applications, they will be updated as soon as the upstream publishes a new version, they convert it into a snap and upload it to the repositories.

Comment

Well that was interesting? I have an application on the USC and haven?t recieved any mail from Canonical to inform me about this.

Comment

So let me get this straight - a Phone whose packages are called .click and a Desktop whose packages are called .snap

Wouldn't wanna make the Desktop packages called .click and the Phone packages called .touch would ya - that would make too much logical sense right?

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Maybe they should too stop non-LTS for non technical users, because it is impossible to maintain all those versions continuously.
                  This means no more upgrade proposal to those (removed even in the options) and a clear comment that all non-LTS are preview/test/dev versions.
                  Well, non-LTS releases are not targeted at non-developers. If you're on an LTS you need to explicitly configure to install a non-LTS release. The online docs recommend not installing a non-LTS. Not sure how much more can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                    As always Canonical is cornered with the rolling release speed, every 6 month is far too much, 9 month or 1 year would be more realistic.
                    Since they launched so many other projects they are clearly undersized.

This would divide their basic/repetitive job by several degrees.

Everytime I install a non-LTS I get frustrated with bugs or missing stuff. That said this is the case even on LTS, until xx.1...

non lts are important, for people with new hardware and for backporting kernel, mesa, etc to lts, they recommend to install lts version always. The problem is not ubuntu software center, the problem is the dependency system

Comment

Working...
                    X