Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Switches Over To Linux 4.1

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Switches Over To Linux 4.1

Two months after the Raspberry Pi default firmware upgraded to Linux 4.0, they've now upgraded to Linux 4.1 as the latest stable kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe i missed it or just didn't see it but where is Win10 for rasPI.

Comment

If I understand right; Win10 for RPi2 is available. I think it's labeled as IOT or something; i'm sure it could be looked into though.

From what i hear, it isn't a totally desktop-usable version of Windows 10 though, and not even something like Kodi will run on it; apparently it's only really useful for embedded projects.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
        Maybe i missed it or just didn't see it but where is Win10 for rasPI.

But you can only use the universal apps and if i see it right there is no 2d or 3d acceleration. so the limited desktop (only for print some informations) is even more limited.

Comment

I would like to see some single-board computer that can always run the latest kernel. That it just works out-of-the-box. Without any special kernel or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I would like to see some single-board computer that can always run the latest kernel.
            A small x86 SoC? Like the ones in the HDMI-Stick PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I would like to see some single-board computer that can always run the latest kernel. That it just works out-of-the-box. Without any special kernel or anything.
              That's great in concept. The reality is that very few x86 distros are tracking the latest available kernel from kernel.org, which means if you are truly trying to always run the latest stable, you end up building your own kernels.

As far as arm devices go, most of the devices (once they are around for a year or two) have the open source support rolled into kernel.org's
              latest stable. So you can build functional kernel's on these devices just as easily as x86 from kernel.org's source.

Raspberry Pi's support is doing a very good job rolling in their extra bits into kernels that are with in spitting distance of kernel.org's latest stable.

The reality is that Raspberry Pi's kernel support is just about as good as it gets.

BTW, I build latest stable kernels for quite a few arm devices (available on xilka.com, there are scripts for installing on the Pi/Pi2 as well as CuBox/CuBoxI/HummingBoard), as well as i686 and x86_64.
              Last edited by cbxbiker61; 10 August 2015, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X