Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.4 Beta Now Available

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.4 Beta Now Available

The beta is out today of the KDE Plasma 5.4 update, which brings new desktop features to the modern KDE desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news. With the reworked pulseaudio support, I might not have to install pavucontrol to get my microphone working when I do a hangouts video chat!
    Super excited.
    The new launcher looks cool too.

Comment

Even though it's only a bullet point, the "Smaller Memory Footprint" point can be filed into understatement of the year. 5.4 has some significant memory reduction based on the way Plasma handles widget memory; Here's Kai Uwe B's G+ post on it.
      Last edited by Kver; 11 August 2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post
        Even though it's only a bullet point, the "Smaller Memory Footprint" point can be filed into understatement of the year. 5.4 has some significant memory reduction based on the way Plasma handles widget memory; Here's Kai Uwe B's G+ post on it.
        Link doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Link doesn't work.
          Sorry, didn't see that he only shared it with extended circles. My bad.
          It's a screenshot of PlasmaShell using 92Mb or RAM.
          Last edited by Kver; 11 August 2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

inb4 thousands multi-display bugs and crashes not fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post

Sorry, didn't see that he only shared it with extended circles. My bad.
              It's a screenshot of PlasmaShell using 92Mb or RAM.

OTOH other KDE devs (I believe mostly Martin Graesslin) argue that memory usage can't even measured scientifically because too many factors play a role.
              Personally, I don't care about a 60MB difference in RAM consumption. Even my freaking phone has 2GB and that's a 2013 model.

Comment

The amount of initial ram used is not extremely relevant. What matters is how static it is.
                Plasma-desktop (plasma4) memory usage used to only increase by ~20MB per week.

Gnome-shell 3.16 for example increases by 10MB per hour and then around 5MB per hour when 75% of system memory is used.

My system has only 4GB ram but I still would rather have something use 300MB and stay around that much after a week than something that uses 90MB and goes up indefinitely by 10MB per hour.

Comment

Working...
                X