Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ponders Defaulting To EGL Rather Than GLX

Phoronix: KDE Ponders Defaulting To EGL Rather Than GLX

KDE KWin maintainer Martin Gr??lin is exploring the possibility of defaulting to using EGL rather than GLX when running the KDE desktop on the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I've been using the EGL backend without any problems now for a while on radeon cards. So I'm certainly in full support of the move.

Comment

Same here, using EGL + OpenGL 3.1 for a couple of months now and all is working fine. Wit opensource radeon drivers

Comment

Someone should try them with proprietary drivers.

Comment

I tried it out on my setup with the beta, and plasma 5.3 definitely doesn't like it - egl just crashes causing the compositor to get disabled.

Comment

Well, I moved back to XRender .

Comment

Originally posted by Rezza View Post
              Well, I moved back to XRender .
              What do you mean?

Comment

AMD Catalyst does not have support for EGL at all. Source of information: changelog between Debian 7 and Debian 8.

Unlike other OpenGL drivers, the AMD FGLRX driver for Radeon adapters does not support the EGL interface. As such, several GNOME applications, including the core of the GNOME desktop, will not start at all when this driver is in use.
                It is recommended to use the free radeon driver, which is the default in jessie, instead.

Comment

Valve has been asking AMD to support it because they're using GNOME Shell for SteamOS debugging and it depends on it. Valve say it is being worked on.

Comment

EGL and GLES support for Catalyst is there since 2012 year http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-s...opengl-es-sdk/ but now it's outdated, so it probably won't work with current Catalyst builds. Well, if Valve said they working on it, then AMD probably going to update it and include into installer.

Comment

Working...
                    X