Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Releases Ubuntu One File Syncing Code

Phoronix: Canonical Releases Ubuntu One File Syncing Code

Canonical has open-sourced their Ubuntu One file syncing code, the biggest piece of their failed Ubuntu One service...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was an Ubuntu One subscriber, and I never had a problem with the service. They were just too late to the game for anyone to notice.

Comment

FML, they were using Python for server side code...
      I expected to see some high performance code, fully taking advantage of epoll(Since, hey, you are on Linux!). Not even close...

Comment

We actually get quite a bit of open source software this way. A good example is Blender, which was originally proprietary code written at least in part for one major customer. The buyer feared the code becoming abandoned, and included a contract clause that opened the code if the program was abandoned by its authors, as in fact it was. This sort of deal also was good for the authors in that case, as they could sell their work once and not have to be forever responsible for it. Once the code was open it took on a life of it's own as Blender is truly unique and does things seemingly nothing else in the Linux world can do. I use kdenlive as my main video editor, but if I want a "star wars" style preroll that gets made in Blender.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
          I was an Ubuntu One subscriber, and I never had a problem with the service. They were just too late to the game for anyone to notice.
          Me too but I had one major problem -- it wouldn't sync all files or file types. IIRC, it wouldn't sync videos. I inquired about this and they said support was coming but never did. I think it was less than a year later they announced they were axing it. Shame -- it worked great for what it would sync and seemed to have so much potential.

Comment

Too little, too late.

They should have done this years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Too little, too late.

They should have done this years ago...
              Too little, too late, for what exactly?
              I very much doubt they're releasing the code as a push to resurrect Ubuntu One!

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post
                Too little, too late, for what exactly?
                Anything.

Comment

Working...
                X