Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 40 Brings Off-Main-Thread Compositing For Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 40 Brings Off-Main-Thread Compositing For Linux

For Firefox users that didn't hear yet: Firefox 40 is now available! Firefox 40 is huge for Linux users thanks to it landing the off-main-thread compositing support by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Def. didnt hear about that. I really hope makes for a better performing Firefox.

Comment

Just upgraded Firefox to version 40.0. Weird things happens... Ubuntu 14.04. Unity, Intel I7 with 12 Gb Ram, Nvidia 650Ti... Click on Firefox icon, and you can see how it slowly draws the window border, then draws the toolbar and later the tabs and window title...
      Last edited by dvanzo; 11 August 2015, 05:59 PM. Reason: (added video link)

Comment

I got the update a few days ago and honestly I haven't noticed any difference in performance. I guess I haven't visited the "right" type of websites.

Comment

I just updated my Fedora 22 box and while I noticed a slight performance increase, it also completely broke flash videos, that now look like a garbled mess.

Comment

I'm on Aurora channel and running 41.0a2. Didn't even notice until it was announced that OMTC had landed in beta channel.

Comment

Doing a filtered part search on digikey.com makes it crawl at least on windows... I'm about to try it on Funtoo >

Comment

So, now Firefox is much faster and better. There is only one reason I still use Chrome instead Firefox: annoying flash player bug with double screen: full screen flash video on one screen will be minimized when I work on another one
                Three years ago I saw this bug and now it still happens... I understand it is flash player bug, but Firefox uses it!

Comment

This release supposed to have the MSE enabled on Linux by default, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    I'm on Aurora channel and running 41.0a2. Didn't even notice until it was announced that OMTC had landed in beta channel.
                    Is not yet in portage.

Comment

Working...
                    X