Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Launches Its "Fresh" Proprietary Driver PPA

Phoronix: Ubuntu Launches Its "Fresh" Proprietary Driver PPA

Following yesterday's article about Ubuntu developers wanting to make it easier to run the newest proprietary NVIDIA drivers, a new PPA has been established...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I am understanding this right, openSUSE has this for years already ? For both nvidia and amd.

Copy paste the link in yast, and you will be told there is an update.

I just checked the nvidia panel tells me I am on 352.21

Comment

Hopefully, they will eventually integrate this into their Additional/Proprietary Driver GUI, even if they force the user to check a box.

If I am understanding this right, openSUSE has this for years already
      Ubuntu has had similar PPA's for years too.

Comment

I had to use the X-org Edgers PPA to get the 352 NVIDIA drivers for my GTX 980 Ti, is there any point in switching yet? If so, would a simple 'ppa-purge' be enough before installing this PPA? Are there any other caveats I should know about before hand?

Comment

Would you still have to manually select new packages when they change branches? That's annoying.

They could probably just set up the packages like this:

nvidia-beta
          nvidia-official
          nvidia-long-lived
          nvidia-legacy-8and9
          nvidia-legacy-6and7

And then that way the user can choose how stable or not he wants his drivers. Sort of like firefox-nightly, firefox-beta, firefox-stable, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Would you still have to manually select new packages when they change branches? That's annoying.

They could probably just set up the packages like this:

nvidia-beta
            nvidia-official
            nvidia-long-lived
            nvidia-legacy-8and9
            nvidia-legacy-6and7

And then that way the user can choose how stable or not he wants his drivers. Sort of like firefox-nightly, firefox-beta, firefox-stable, etc.
            You're absolutely right. A 1000 times this.

PPAs are a "set and forget" business. Any other approach makes zero sense.

Comment

Yes, the're even many outdated/broken ppa around that's why I always used the direct download from nvidia. Never had problems to update existing drivers. Instead of another ppa they should bring a gui to update alike on Windows or even have it fully automated like windows10.

Comment

I noticed this at the end of packages "~xedgers14.04.4 " does the xedgers mean it's still xorg-edgers packages from this https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa I wish that they renamed the packages rather than copying from someone else...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  Instead of another ppa they should bring a gui to update alike on Windows or even have it fully automated like windows10.
                  They have one. It's called "Software Updater".

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCerberus View Post
                    I noticed this at the end of packages "~xedgers14.04.4 " does the xedgers mean it's still xorg-edgers packages from this https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa I wish that they renamed the packages rather than copying from someone else...
                    The initial packages were copied out of xorg-edgers, updates in the future will have different names. Same people working on it..

Comment

Working...
                    X