Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libreboot Ported To A Sub-$200 ARM Chromebook

Phoronix: Libreboot Ported To A Sub-$200 ARM Chromebook

A Phoronix reader pointed out that as of last week there's been some ARM Libreboot love for allowing this binary blob free downstream of Coreboot to work on the ASUS C201...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi,

I'm Francis Rowe, the lead developer of libreboot (also the director of Minifree at minifree.org, which sells libreboot-compatible systems), and I'm here to tell you that this article is misleading. Michael, please be more careful with the red button next time.

The C201 is being worked on upstream (coreboot) by Paul, but the integration work for libreboot isn't done yet. This isn't even beta, but the Phoronix article that this forum thread is for, makes out like it is is now officially supported.

As it stands, you should probably update the article. Here are some suggestions:

Change the title of the post to "Libreboot Being Ported to a Sub-$200 ARM Chromebook" - the "being" part is key here.

Quote: "Paul Kocialkowski announced last week that he's managed to get the ASUS Chromebook C201 running on Libreboot" - wrong. He got it working with coreboot. Coreboot could already be built without any blobs for this system. What Paul is doing is getting the relevant patches upstreamed into the official coreboot tree, which is what libreboot uses. The integration work for libreboot will begin later.

Beyond that, the article is fine, and I thank you for posting it!

Francis

Comment

Is it possible to easily swap out the WiFi/BT unit's for a supported one in these Chromebooks like it is in regular laptops and notebooks?
      Hi

Comment

Working...
      X