Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's A Wrap: OpenGL / Vulkan BoF At SIGGRAPH

Phoronix: That's A Wrap: OpenGL / Vulkan BoF At SIGGRAPH

The Khronos Group's BoF at SIGGRAPH 2015 is now over with no major surprises...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like December for Vulkan.

Valve did mention that various IHV's were testing Dota2 code on their in-progress Vulkan drivers. It might end up getting released immediately after the driver support comes.

Comment

Have to say lineup of OSes supported makes it very hopeful. I would be happy if Apple at least cared and would allowed Vulkan to be supported on OS X (they clearly aim for mobile with Metal). I expect some of Linux based mobile OSes join next year, WebOS maybe?
      I guess next summer will be full of first Vulkan based engine/game releases.

Comment

Also the PS4 should support Vulkan aside OSX.

Comment

Apple is unlikely to announce support, assuming they will supported, until the next WWDC. The spec won't be released in time to put it in El Capitan, and they won't wish to give developers a reason not to use Metal.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Sounds like December for Vulkan.

Valve did mention that various IHV's were testing Dota2 code on their in-progress Vulkan drivers. It might end up getting released immediately after the driver support comes.

sounds like november to me. it would definitely be a mistake and not release steam machine with Vulkan. valve are smart enough to realize it.

Comment

If they could release steam machines with new game which will support Vulkan and on Source 2 with proper driver, this will be great start for new API.
              But i think this will be very big combo to be real.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

sounds like november to me. it would definitely be a mistake and not release steam machine with Vulkan. valve are smart enough to realize it.
                It's not a problem these days. First, any real game using Vulkan most likely will come next year, second, software updates. It's a regular thing for current crop of consoles, why SM would be different.

However I agree Vulkan spec will be published sooner. It might be possible that it is already ready and they just wait for some of vendors getting their ducks in a row so they can come out with their PR messages at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

It's not a problem these days. First, any real game using Vulkan most likely will come next year, second, software updates. It's a regular thing for current crop of consoles, why SM would be different.

However I agree Vulkan spec will be published sooner. It might be possible that it is already ready and they just wait for some of vendors getting their ducks in a row so they can come out with their PR messages at once.
                  your comment sounds sane to any technical or reasonable person, but it is sadly not how marketing works and not how typical consumer sees realease product with "we'll fix it next month" and you'll fail. they need bang on release, because if they release it too late, most of the people won't even notice.

games with vulkan being there or not doesn't even matter, as long as they can show Dota 2, hype is there for waiting when next games show up on Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                    Have to say lineup of OSes supported makes it very hopeful. I would be happy if Apple at least cared and would allowed Vulkan to be supported on OS X (they clearly aim for mobile with Metal). I expect some of Linux based mobile OSes join next year, WebOS maybe?
                    I guess next summer will be full of first Vulkan based engine/game releases.
                    OS X is honestly irrelevant regardless. Nobody considers it as a serious game platform, and Linux is only being treated seriously because Valve has thrown their weight behind it. Those who think "Cross Platform" is going to be the winning factor are full of themselves, as supporting multiple APIs (DX, Xbox DX, and PSGL) is the status quo, and the real Vulkan vs DX12 battleground is to be waged on Windows on the merits of both. Now that said the involvement of the heavy hitters of the game industry means that hopefully it won't be the steaming pile that Khronos usually produces. Even more interesting though is SPIR-V as that means that even if Khronos screws up, for the first time ever independent groups can come in and make something that actually works without having to shim over Dx or OpenGL or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                    X