Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi KMS-Only, No-3D Driver Under Review

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi KMS-Only, No-3D Driver Under Review

Just hours after writing about the Raspberry Pi firmware driver being under review for possible inclusion into Linux 4.3, Eric Anholt has posted some stripped down versions of his VC4 DRM driver for review...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the moment I was waiting for, finally!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

By the way... 4.2-rc6 has already been released: isn't already too late for new 4.3 drm pull requests with the new policy?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

This feels like a fail.
        This should have been done years ago.

Raspberry Pi feels old. I want a new octa-cora ARMv8 SoC with Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.1, Wi-Fi 802.11ac,, Bluetooth 4.2 and powered by USB Type-C using a phone charger.

Comment

Changing video modes is unsupported right now

Then it's not really a mode-setting driver yet is it?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            This feels like a fail.

Raspberry Pi feels old. I want a new octa-cora ARMv8 SoC with Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.1, Wi-Fi 802.11ac,, Bluetooth 4.2 and powered by USB Type-C using a phone charger.
            I would gladly pass on USB 3 and Bluetooth if I can have SATA and >= 2 Gb instead.

Comment

This feels like a fail.

Ah, the obligatory missing-the-point-of-the-Raspberry Pi post.

It was designed to be a low-cost unit for the purpose of facilitating education of programming amongst youngsters.

It is low cost and is an excellent resource for learning to code. Hmm, that pretty much make it somewhat of a success.

It wasn't designed for you to use as a computer, you can if you wish, but that was never the point. So go buy your much more expensive SoC dev board with massively improved specs over the Pi, along with it's community which is a fraction of the size of the RPi community. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I would gladly pass on USB 3 and Bluetooth if I can have SATA and >= 2 Gb instead.
                M.2, NVMe or eMMC 5.1 should be fine too.
                If it got 2x SATA that would be awesome, then you could run RAID.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  Ah, the obligatory missing-the-point-of-the-Raspberry Pi post.

It was designed to be a low-cost unit for the purpose of facilitating education of programming amongst youngsters.

It is low cost and is an excellent resource for learning to code. Hmm, that pretty much make it somewhat of a success.

It wasn't designed for you to use as a computer, you can if you wish, but that was never the point. So go buy your much more expensive SoC dev board with massively improved specs over the Pi, along with it's community which is a fraction of the size of the RPi community. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
                  Yeah, but it still should have been done years ago.
                  This driver is way late.

Also as an resource to learn how to code the Raspberry Pi (1) sucks, since its single-core, so its not suitable for how to learn how to do multi-threading, parallel programming, distributed programming, etc.
                  Raspberry Pi 2 is better, since it is quad-core so its good for that.

Also the RPi 1 uses an ancient ARMv6 architecture, so not many distributions run on it, so you have to use special-purpose distributions like Raspbian, instead of the real Debian.
                  RPi 2 now is ARMv7 so its better, but even that is old and not as standardized as ARMv8, so you're likely to end up having to use special-purpose distributions too.
                  It would be so nice to just run any distribution and it should just work out-of-the-box without any special out-of-tree patches, special builds, custom compiles, weird kernel, etc.

Comment

Yeah, but it still should have been done years ago.
                    This driver is way late.

Also as an resource to learn how to code the Raspberry Pi (1) sucks, since its single-core, so its not suitable for how to learn how to do multi-threading, parallel programming, distributed programming, etc.
                    Raspberry Pi 2 is better, since it is quad-core so its good for that.

Also the RPi 1 uses an ancient ARMv6 architecture, so not many distributions run on it, so you have to use special-purpose distributions like Raspbian, instead of the real Debian.
                    RPi 2 now is ARMv7 so its better, but even that is old and not as standardized as ARMv8, so you're likely to end up having to use special-purpose distributions too.
                    It would be so nice to just run any distribution and it should just work out-of-the-box without any special out-of-tree patches, special builds, custom compiles, weird kernel, etc.
                    A kernel patch is pretty much the only "weird" component required on a RPi 2, other than that standard armhf distros run just fine on it, including upstream ubuntu and debian.

Comment

Working...
                    X