Our Dozens Of Linux Benchmark Systems Still Burning Around 3000 kWh A Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Dozens Of Linux Benchmark Systems Still Burning Around 3000 kWh A Month

Phoronix: Our Dozens Of Linux Benchmark Systems Still Burning Around 3000 kWh A Month

After writing last month about The Insane Power Use Of Benchmarking Linux Every Day as part of looking at the electrical use of our Linux benchmarking farm powering Phoronix, LinuxBenchmarking.com, etc. Here's this month's numbers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do you operate Phoronix as an independent business? Put solar on your roof in the name of your business. Claim the 30% tax credit, depreciate the cost and it will pay for itself in very little time (as little as 5 years maybe less) varying depending on where you live.

Not operating it as an independent business? You can still do it, claim 30% tax credit and pay for the system in 10 years or less again depending on where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
      Do you operate Phoronix as an independent business? Put solar on your roof in the name of your business. Claim the 30% tax credit, depreciate the cost and it will pay for itself in very little time (as little as 5 years maybe less) varying depending on where you live.

Not operating it as an independent business? You can still do it, claim 30% tax credit and pay for the system in 10 years or less again depending on where you live.
      I've looked into solar and not really worthwhile as would take too long before yielding a return.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is "impressive". That is double the amount I use per year!

Comment

Hi Michael,

That's a lot of power.

Is there a demanding use-case for daily benchmarking?

If you benchmarked every third day, your power usage would be the same as a normal household, and there would still be plenty of useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by Godzilla View Post
            Hi Michael,

That's a lot of power.

Is there a demanding use-case for daily benchmarking?

If you benchmarked every third day, your power usage would be the same as a normal household, and there would still be plenty of useful information.
            For when finding out about any regressions, it's much easier to track down the change / bisect than every three days.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

what the hell is the average american household doing that uses 1000kWh/month? I use 200kWh. That's just under average for a 2 bed house here (uk) according to my electric company. My mates 5 bed, 4 people house is only using 350 ish.

Are you guys running the a/c 24/7 on 17c? how is it even possible

Michael, I hate to say it, as I like phoronix, but if it's not paying for itself, it's not viable and it's probably time to turn it off.

Comment

<- Edit: Oh crap, that's the site's interpretation of "full size" for a whole screenshot.

This is how many sites I have unblocked in NoScript and I still see zero ads. That's on top of disabling AdBlock (which is set to allow non-intrusive ads).
                Maybe if you make it easier to let ads through, you'd get more users to actually let them through?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbig4545 View Post
                  what the hell is the average american household doing that uses 1000kWh/month? I use 200kWh. That's just under average for a 2 bed house here (uk) according to my electric company. My mates 5 bed, 4 people house is only using 350 ish.
                  I use about 600KWh/month (no AC usage), but maybe 1/3 of that is an 30-year-old freezer I need to replace with a more efficient & less reliable unit. Most of the rest is fridge, fans, PCs and a big-ass stereo power amp with high idle current.

Add in some A/C and you can get to 1000 KWh/mo pretty easily. Remember we don't have the ocean / gulf stream moderating our climate here, so our winters are winter-ier and summers are summer-ier.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 13 August 2015, 11:22 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mrbig4545 View Post
                    That is what i mean. I, as a single household, use around 1800 per year.

Comment

Working...
                    X