Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Intel Skylake Linux Users May Run Into A Silly Issue

Phoronix: Early Intel Skylake Linux Users May Run Into A Silly Issue

Earlier today I wrote about the Intel Core i5 6600K "Skylake" running fine on Ubuntu Linux compared to the issues encountered when running the i7-5775C Broadwell processor. This Intel Skylake CPU is running fine so far on Linux but there is a minor workaround that many users will experience if upgrading to a Skylake processor in the next few months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the previous article you posted it looked like an MSI gaming M5 or M7 motherboard, if so, I take it the killer NIC is actually playing nice? I've heard many horror stories of having to install NIC drivers manually to get network working..

EDIT: I noticed it's probably the "gaming pro", so intel NIC, that figures.. I'm interested because the M5 and M7 both have 2 M.2 slots.
    Last edited by nilssab; 16 August 2015, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Ubuntu used a kernel with a backported i915 module, you could compare lsmod. There a stripped down module is there for newer hardware only, from a newer drm tree. It is interesting that even with kernel 4.2 you need that override.

Comment

Good thing I am planning to use 6700k with GTX 970

Waiting for release in Bangladesh which usually 2-3 month late of US release

Comment

I have i7 6700k (the same iGPU), and for me its not usable on linux, because of this bug - https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89055

Comment

Originally posted by nilssab View Post

EDIT: I noticed it's probably the "gaming pro", so intel NIC, that figures.. I'm interested because the M5 and M7 both have 2 M.2 slots.
            I have m7, it has killer e2400 and its not supported yet on linux.
            Last edited by januszmk; 16 August 2015, 06:28 AM.

Comment

I assume that this is not considered as a "Disaster"... it's just a silly issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                I assume that this is not considered as a "Disaster"... it's just a silly issue.
                It would be a disaster if it was hidden behind a compile flag. A runtime flag is less of a disaster
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yeah, I agree, not that big a deal, just inconvenient when you expect it out of the box. Soon enough it won't even be an issue anymore. A disaster is something much harder to fix. Like a tornado or an earthquake. Metaphorically speaking, this isn't on that kind of scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                    Hmmmm I've heard that Windows 10 doesn't have that issue.... neither 8.1.... neither 7. Shit Linux is better and ready for prime time! Any rational person that sees something like that would switch away from their Linux distro and move to Windows or Mac. The engineering levels in the Linux world are amateurish at best. This is just another example of such behavior. You always need to fiddle with shit just to get it working as it should by default. Such a shame. Guess having all that freedom isn't any good after all. Too much freedom and products become inferior.
                    Error 508 : TROLL DETECTED

Comment

Working...
                    X