Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I No Longer Have Any Trust In The Nest Protect

Phoronix: I No Longer Have Any Trust In The Nest Protect

Earlier this year I wrote about protecting our Linux test farm with the Nest Protect. While I own ten of these "high tech smoke detectors" and initially recommended, I no longer trust them after a long night...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Time to build a wifi faraday cage. one trick is to place it in a microwave (don't turn it on!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
      Time to build a wifi faraday cage. one trick is to place it in a microwave (don't turn it on!!!)
      Or fridge which also makes things (if not completely) quiet

Comment

It remind-me of this

But I think is only some hacker playing with you Michael, just to say hello from your network.

Comment

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Comment

Putting the Nest Protect in a kitchen pot with lid still claimed of smoke and produced warnings...
            My initial thought would have been to shove the thing into a Faraday cage too... assuming that was your intention. Did the pot have a metal lid? Did you try any others? Or whacking it in the microwave oven (without actually microwaving it) perhaps? I can't figure out why it didn't work. I've always largely ignored the rash of "IoT" stuff, which has looked like unimaginative utility hardware with a silly geek-toy component pointlessly bolted on in an attempt to justify grossly overcharging... but this trans-Faraday-telepathy thing is making me wonder if the stuff is actually Evil! Yikes!

Speaking of Evil... I hope you didn't get so carried away with that sledge that any Americium might have escaped... perhaps an Arduino Geiger counter will be your next toy?
            Last edited by Dick Palmer; 16 August 2015, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
              One trick is to place it in a microwave (don't turn it on!!!)
              Well, a second or two of microwaving would probably have been just as effective as the sledgehammer, but without the violence

Comment

Michael: I guess you hadn't seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY (from an unrelated Google Engineer) which was doing the round earlier this year.

PS: I was wrong about Steam on Linux not being real all those years ago. I apologise and congratulations on being right all that time!

- Anon

Comment

There is such a thing as "unnecessarily high tech". Safety devices ideally should use springs and gravity wherever possible. I don't really understand the point of Nest either - how often do you actually change your central heating settings anyway?

I had a similar problem with my car alarm at 3am. It thought the back window was broken (it wasn't). It turns out that you can't actually switch off the car alarm from the menu system. It even has its own, separate battery...

Comment

This post is Michael Larabel's greatest contribution to Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X