Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 6.0: M Is For Marshmallow

Phoronix: Android 6.0: M Is For Marshmallow

Google revealed today the full name of Android M... Marshmallow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And I haven't gotten Lollipop yet. CyanogenMod 12 is taking its sweet time. Ironically, if I had kept the stock ROM on my Nexus 5, I'd have Lollipop a long time ago.

Comment

A lot of of nexus users have moved away from CM, towards things like Pure Nexus and Chroma. Not sure if they have Nexus 5 support, I know they do 6, but it might be worth checking out other roms.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        And I haven't gotten Lollipop yet. CyanogenMod 12 is taking its sweet time. Ironically, if I had kept the stock ROM on my Nexus 5, I'd have Lollipop a long time ago.

CM12 has been out for the Nexus 5 for as long as CM12 has been in development. Very few devices, if any even to my knowledge, are actually getting "stable" or "release" images for CM12. You just get the nightly and run it as long as you want, and if you need newer features or bug fixes you just get the latest nightly.

No, its not optimal, or even a good development model, but Android as a whole is a big mess compared to desktop Linux distros. Nobody has the time to maintain release processes on CM images for hundreds of devices where each one gets its own image.

At that, until Google realizes they need to put their foot down and compel vendors to ship stock Android that they can push updates to that people will abandon their platform because the carriers are fucking Google over with updates. The Nexus devices are the exception in a sea of outdated hardware.

Comment

I've had bad experiences with nightlies. CMod 11 was just an installer you used on your PC with the Nexus 5 plugged in. Very simple. If they were just gonna use that for ONE release, why bother developing it?

Comment

New in Android 6.0 will be support for app permissions. So you can deny an app permission to your camera for example.

CyanogenMod might be good if you have a phone with a shit ROM like one from HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony, etc.
            But if you have a Nexus then you already have an awesome ROM and don't need CyanogenMod.

Also, its no surprise people are turning away from CyanogenMod, since Cyanogen Inc. are snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              New in Android 6.0 will be support for app permissions. So you can deny an app permission to your camera for example.

CyanogenMod might be good if you have a phone with a shit ROM like one from HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony, etc.
              But if you have a Nexus then you already have an awesome ROM and don't need CyanogenMod.

Also, its no surprise people are turning away from CyanogenMod, since Cyanogen Inc. are snakes.
              Which is still (sadly?) most phones. CM12 is the only way I can get 5.1 on my Galaxy s4. There is no Sprint 5.1 image, yet CM has had it for four months. It has plenty of bugs, some are fixed and some are not (I've never had working APN switching, so whenever I enter 4g I have to manually fix my APN so my phone works) but for some devices (XT1031, for example) the carrier have still not even pushed a 5.0 update.

Paranoid Android stopped supporitng jflte. And those are the only two real big and marginally trustworthy Android distros. Everything else is some kid throwing random APKs on the stock ROM and calling it Megakiller Android Turbo XXX.

If Plasma Mobile supports the "new" Nexus 5, thats my next phone without hesitation.

Comment

No, CMod has plenty of features that vanilla Android lacks. Features I like. And I don't care what Cyanogen Inc does to other companies, as long as I feel their ROM is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I have a Nexus and I do need CyanogenMod, there are plenty of useful features like the Privacy Guard.
                  The new app permissions in Android 6 will suck because it will only work if the app has been built with the latest SDK. Apps can still chose to use an older version to stop people from blocking what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                    I've had bad experiences with nightlies. CMod 11 was just an installer you used on your PC with the Nexus 5 plugged in. Very simple. If they were just gonna use that for ONE release, why bother developing it?
                    .... sadly i run across lots of people like you. dude, pull your head out of your arse. use twrp's backup and restore if the rom you loaded is buggy. and remember to wipe.

Comment

Working...
                    X