Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14-Way AMD vs. NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For DiRT Showdown

Phoronix: 14-Way AMD vs. NVIDIA Linux Gaming Performance For DiRT Showdown

Yesterday marked the release of DiRT Showdown for Linux as ported over by Virtual Programming using their eON technology. With being able to use it as an automated, reproducible benchmark, I spent most of the day and into the night working on some initial AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce graphics card benchmarks using this DiRT game that's finally available to Linux/SteamOS gamers, three years after it was released for Windows. This initial comparison is a 14-way Linux gaming graphics card comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this game actually crash on the Mesa drivers, or is it just "officially" unsupported on them?

Comment

Graphics seems to be easy to port. Game does not have advanced logic/physics. I am not amazed it was well "ported". I would buy it with a discount. Racing games are not that exciting for me.
      Last edited by dimko; 18 August 2015, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Hi Michael & Yall,

thanks for the testing! Pity about the differences but unfortunately, not surprising.

390X owner with "buyers remorse...."

GreekGeek

Comment

When i tested it at the start of august i did note the issue of the game hanging: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...rt-report.5758

This was the reason the game was delayed during my testing:
          Sorry folks, blame me for this one. DiRT Showdown has been delayed after some crash bugs I uncovered and reported to the developers.

Please anyone including Michael who gets the hangs, email VP your eon.txt logs from the hangs!

Comment

Hi Micheal,

Can you test middle-end cards(like GT840, GT940 etc..)?
            Last edited by byECHO; 18 August 2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

nVidia is way better than AMD with Linus harsh words or not. I'm AMD fanboy myself but sometimes I really don't care about brands or policies, I just want them to works.

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
                nVidia is way better than AMD with Linus harsh words or not. I'm AMD fanboy myself but sometimes I really don't care about brands or policies, I just want them to works.
                I don't get it why AMD has worse drivers under Linux than under Windows. Is it because Nvidia always creates profiles for those AAA games under Linux and AMD just under Win?

Comment

1920x1080 medum settings
                  radeon 7790 Linux Mesa 11-devel - 21 fps

radeon 7790 windows 8 catalyst - 52 fps

Comment

byECHO The cards included are all the card Michael has in his posession, afaik.

marceel Windows is usually DirectX/Direct3D, while Linux is OpenGL. AMD/ATI has traditionally sucked at implementing OpenGL. Nvidia bought a top-notch OpenGL team/implementation when they acquired 3dfx and they have been going strong in this area ever since.

Comment

Working...
                    X