Mozilla's Servo Engine Now Capable Of Rendering GitHub Near Flawlessly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Servo Engine Now Capable Of Rendering GitHub Near Flawlessly

Phoronix: Mozilla's Servo Engine Now Capable Of Rendering GitHub Near Flawlessly

Mozilla's Servo next-generation layout engine is now nearly spot-on with its rendering of the GitHub.com web-site...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally more progress for cure to WebKit/Blink mono culture.
    Now I just need Qt bindings for it. ;-)

Comment

Are there any benchmarks of it rendering the GitHub page compared to Gecko/WebKit? That would be very interesting.

Comment

What kind of an alpha release will this be? Is it about an alpha build of FF including Servo or is it about making some alpha packages available for whoever is interested in playing with them?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          What kind of an alpha release will this be? Is it about an alpha build of FF including Servo or is it about making some alpha packages available for whoever is interested in playing with them?
          It certainly wouldn't be the first. That is possibly never going to happen (expect more of a Internet Explorer -> Edge like thing, with both of them coexisting for some time).

I recall reading something about the enging being good enough for dogfeeding (that the devs should be able to use it for all their dev-related needs (github, bugzilla, ...)) and embedding API completeness.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
            Now I just need Qt bindings for it. ;-)
            Apparently mixing rust and Qt is possible but not great, just due to incompatibility inherent between the way they each do something.
            Discussion of Rust language features that make it difficult to generate & use C++ bindings in Rust. Update: the discussion is happening at the following Reddit thread, please use it instead of comments here. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

Apparently mixing rust and Qt is possible but not great, just due to incompatibility inherent between the way they each do something.
              http://endl.ch/content/cxx2rust-pain...st-example-qt5
              Actually, it wouldn't be that difficult.

Calling C++ code from non-C++ code (eg. Using Qt in a non-C++ language) is a major pain if you haven't had time to write something like the SIP tool PyQt uses to automate the generation of a wrapper. (Each C++ compiler has its own ABI and it may change from version to version. To bind to C++ code, you need to write more C++ code which exposes a C ABI.) It's also complicated to make Qt's internal reference counting subservient to Rust's borrow checker.

Calling Rust code from non-Rust code still has the "You have to use Rust's equivalent to 'extern C' to expose a C ABI" part of that, but embedding a Rust library in a C or C++ project is much simpler (Firefox already has support for using Servo's URL and MP4 parsers).

Also, this is a special case. They're already building a CEF-compatible ABI wrapper for Servo and writing a wrapper around CEF to add Qt-isms like signals and slots should be simple.

Comment

So can it open pages without crashing yet?

Comment

Originally posted by iq-0 View Post
                  It certainly wouldn't be the first. That is possibly never going to happen (expect more of a Internet Explorer -> Edge like thing, with both of them coexisting for some time).
                  I think that makes sense because Firefox currently has an image problem. In my extended social circle, there are the tech novices that use their default browser (usually Internet Explorer), and almost everyone else uses Chrome. They all switched in the 2008-2012 time frame when Chrome did have a huge edge over Firefox, and I can't interest anyone in giving Firefox another look. I've been trying.

I suspect that once the bugs are hammered out of the Electrolysis project, the original Firefox will be as good or better than Chrome by every metric. Right now I think it's close on Windows, but further behind on Linux. I get periodic hangs with 100% CPU use for a few seconds for Firefox on Linux - never on Windows - despite running with no add-ons or plugins of any kind.

Comment

Too bad Rust's type system isn't powerful enough. Higher kinded types would be nice. Otherwise it's just a waste of time investing your time on it.
                    Issue by tiffany352 Monday Sep 02, 2013 at 01:14 GMT For earlier discussion, see rust-lang/rust#8922 This issue was labelled with: A-typesystem, I-wishlist in the Rust repository Rust doesn't suppo...

Comment

Working...
                    X